Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo XC90 T6: Power window switch on drivers door has an issue.

Power window switch on drivers door has an issue. Control for drivers window does not always operate. Wiggling or pushing harder on the switch makes it work. So I would like to replace the switch, but the dealer said it needs to be programmed?! I am wondering if this is really necessary or if I could use a used part instead to simplify things? Also if I don't have it programmed, will it work at all? Let me know, thanks!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward :

If you get a used switch, Then you may get SOME functionality out of it.

Edward :

To answer your first question, the answer is YES, A new switch does require a software download to make the new switch functional. as it is on the low speed CAN network.

Edward :

I have put a used switch in an XC90 before, (not recommended) and everything worked, BUT, the power mirrors.

Edward :

So in summary, A new switch does require software download to be functional.

Edward :

A used switch may work , but sometimes they have limited functionality.

Edward :

A new switch will not work without programming.

Edward :

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok great info, thanks! im going to try to clean it up/resolder it tomorrow, but if that doesn't work ill just bite the bullet and have it programmed once replaced. its still half the price of a lexus power window switch :) (was $800 on my rx300)