Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Volvo S60 2.5T: Back with another question on my 2008 S60 Volvo.

Back with another question on...
Back with another question on my 2008 S60 Volvo. According to a diagnosis from one shop, the solenoids within the transmission are bad; according to the dealer, there is a mechanical problem with the transmission, but since it is a sealed transmission, they cannot give details on what the mechanical problem is. Who's kidding who?
6/25/2013
hauto
hauto, Technician

Thanks for using JA

Were there any diagnostic codes pulled, if yes what are they, what are the symptoms?

I have the codes at home--will get them after work. I had the software updated (all software) after an ABS message appeared on the dashboard. The clockspring was replaced and then I started getting a "shudder" on shifting.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the codes when you get them.

According to the Volvo dealer: Transmission control module code 002E, lock-up function with no further details. The independent shop said: "found code for transmission lock up solenoid. Found software out of date." They updated and that's when I started feeling the shudder.

The independent shop then listed this as their diagnosis: Customer stated that the car has a hard shift some of the time, inspected
fluid condition and level, pulled codes no codes stored for transmission. Install brake out box and checked all shift solenoids manually, checked solenoids through VIDA and with lab scope and amp clamp. Checked resistance of solenoids, checked powers and grounds ok, solenoids tested out of range. Valve body has internal
failure, drain transmission sump, remove side cover for transmission and remove valve body. Install new valve body, reinstalled side cover, fill transmission with new fluid, download recognition software and preform test drive to reset parameters. Test drove vehicle to verify repair.

Thanks for the reply.

The after market shop is off on their diagnostic, and did unneeded work, this code caused by internal slippage due to a mechanical problem or a damaged torque converter I agree with the dealer.

Wow! I'm very surprised, since the dealer here has been more than unreliable. Not sure what to do, but since the independent place is offering a 2-year warranty on parts & labor and the dealer only one with a cost of double -- I'm still leaning towards the independent.

I appreciate your help!

I would choose the two year warranty myself, Best of luck to you.

hauto
hauto, Technician
hauto
hauto
hauto, Technician