Volvo

Volvo XC90 2.5T: AC blows cold then hot after a few minutes.

AC blows cold then hot...
AC blows cold then hot after a few minutes. If the AC is turned off, then back on about a minute later it blows cold again. I'm not mechanically savvy, and need to get the problem addressed soon.

Please help!... Read full answer

Please help!
6/4/2013
Rip
Rip, ASE Certified Technician

Rip :

Hi, welcome to JA, Sounds like a typical low refrigerant issue. When the refrigerant reaches a certain level, the system can operate as you describe. If you feel up to trying it yourself, most auto part suppliers and stores like Sears or Walmart sell do-it-yourself cans of freon, with instructions to safetly add it. There may also be a leak in the system, so if after adding freon it shortly after acts the same, the system will need to be tested for leaks by a repair facility.

Customer:

I read a few reported stories in the Volvo Forum on other Volvo's with like issues, and they reported issues with the compressor, temperature sensor gage, clutch, relay...... all were seemingly expensive issues to fix. I'm leary of bringing the truck to the dealership or an Import Specialist (especially during the "hot" season) to get it checked, because I'm afraid

Customer:

I'll get quoted all types of prices for varying issues

Rip :

This is true, on the automatic climate control there are many failures which shut off the compressor. I would try and squeeze a bit of freon in or take it to a facility and request just that first. In more than half the cases it's a freon issue, problem is if you take it to a repair shop and they scan the system, it most likley will have codes in there for temp sensor, and possibly others...i've seen these codes appear and still the customers ac is working correctly. If there are codes, they will recommend repairs and ultimately you were low on refrigerant anyhow. Low refrigerant accounts for 75% of the ac repairs. Below is a pic of the location of the service valve you would use to add freon. If you feel yo can tackle this, purchase a "trigger" style an of R134a freon and hook it to the service valve. Turn the engine on and ac on max, squeeze the trigger for 5 seconds and let go, turn the engin off and back on again, see if the ac blows colder longer. If so, squeeze for another 5 seconds and see if it goes longer again. If so, we're dealing with a low freon issue. If there is no change in opreation, well it will than need to go to a repair facility to remove and weigh the freon amount and scan the HVAC module for diagnostic codes.

Rip :

The Low side service valve is #11

Rip
Rip, ASE Certified Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Volvo S40 T5: 2008 S40 T5 AWD...AC will start blowing cold,
2008 S40 T5 AWD...AC will start blowing cold, then cut out to hot/room temp air until I shut it off again. Wait a few minutes, then turn it back on and it'll blow cold again for a few minutes, then ba… read more
ASE MASTER TECH,
Volvo XC90 2.5T: I have a 2003 Volvo XC90. The air conditioner
I have a 2003 Volvo XC90. The air conditioner initially blows cold air. On hot days, after driving the car for a half hour or so, the air conditioner begins to blow hot air. If I turn the A/C off for … read more
ENES
ENES
Volvo S80: I have a 2001 Volvo s80 2.9 litre engine. The air
I have a 2001 Volvo s80 2.9 litre engine. The air conditioner is good and cold as long as I am on the highway, but when I drive around town the compressor cuts off after a few minutes and blows warm a… read more
ENES
ENES
Stop searching for answers—
ac blows ice cold on open road but when in towen with stop
ac blows ice cold on open road but when in towen with stop and go in hot temps outside keeps turning off. After two minuites I can turn it back on and it works for a while. Seems to have a two level f… read more
Volvo Expert Technician,
/c blows cold for a while, then blows warm.../c for a few min..cool
a/c blows cold for a while, then blows warm. If I turn off a/c for a few min. it will blow cool when I turn it back on. Is this a referigerant problem or something else… read more
Doug
Doug
Technician,
2001 volvo v70: blowing..cabin..ac and climate, fan controls are off.
My 2001 Volvo v70xc is turning on the AC all by itself. I can be gone from the vehicle , keys removed for twenty minutes, walk back up to it and the AC unit is blowing hard and cold into the cabin. Al… read more
ENES
ENES
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
1999 S70: air conditioner..15 minutes..for 10 minutes or more it..cool
This question concerns my air conditioner in my 1999 S70 Volvo. My air conditioner cools and gets down to 30 degrees at times but after about 15 minutes or so it starts blowing hot air. If I turn the … read more
Volvo Expert Technician,
2005 Volvo: used car dealer..I was able to have the car inspected pre
I just purchased a used (2 previous owners) 2005 Volvo S 40 with 102K miles from a good used car dealer. I was able to have the car inspected pre-purchase at an independent foreign car shop that they … read more
Volvo Expert Technician,
Volvo: it on and it cools down but 6 minutes later it..blowing hot
the air conditionig is acting weird. I turn it on and it cools down but 6 minutes later it starts blowing hot (not cold) air. I don't know any mechanic I can trust in the area and the volvo deaership … read more
ENES
ENES
2002 XC70: After 15 minutes..ac starts to smell..minutes later..resets
I have a 2002 XC70. After 15 minutes of driving, the AC starts to smell and about 5 minutes later the air starts getting warmer until at about 25 minutes it is blowing hot air. If I turn off the AC an… read more
Brian
Brian
Your air conditioner blows cold air..keeps blowing..few minutes
what's going on when your air conditioner blows cold air and then it keeps blowing but it is not cold anymore? I cut it off for a few minutes and cut it back on then it blows cold again? freon has bee… read more
Brian
Brian
Volvo S40: 20 minutes..a few minutes..only blows cold..blows cold air
The airconditioning in my Volvo S40, stops blowing cold air after about 20 minutes. The fan continues to run. I shut the airconditioner wait a few minutes and turn it on again, but now only blows cold… read more
ENES
ENES
Stop searching for answers—
Wagon: ac..a few minutes, it blows really cold air, but after a while
what is wrong with my a/c? I have a 94 850T wagon that the ac keeps turning off by itself. It works fine for a few minutes, it blows really cold air, but after a while it just starts blowing less and … read more
Jim B
Jim B
ASE Certified Technician,
01 V70: ac..it always blows, but sometimes it gets hot..few minutes
The AC in my '01 V70 wagon is running intermittenly . . . it always blows, but sometimes it gets hot. I shut it off and after a few minutes I turn it back on again and it is cold again. What is going … read more
Jim B
Jim B
ASE Certified Technician,
2006 Volvo S40 2.4i: sedan..it stopped blowing cold air..15 minutes
I have a 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i sedan and experineced an A/C issue today. At first, the a/c worked fine and then for no reason, it stopped blowing cold air. I turned off the a/c and waited for 15 minutes… read more
Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech
Shop manager,Technician, Foreman,
AIR-CONDITIONER STOPS BLOWING COLD AIR AFTER A FEW MINUTES
AIR-CONDITIONER STOPS BLOWING COLD AIR AFTER A FEW MINUTES OF DRIVING. YOU CAN TURN SYSTEM OFF FOR COUPLE OF MINUTES AND IT WILL BLOW COLD AGAIN FOR A FEW MORE MINUTES THEN IT WILL STOP BLOWING COLD A… read more
Jim B
Jim B
ASE Certified Technician,
2000 V70: blows hot air..I checked the freon low side 45 psi
I have a 2000 V70. The ac works for a while then blows hot air. I checked the freon low side 45 psi. It blows cold. The compressor shuts down after a while and if turned off will start up again after … read more
Jim B
Jim B
ASE Certified Technician,
V70 T5: Climate control..cool air for about 20 mins when first started
V70 T5 2001 Climate control. It provides cool air for about 20 mins when first started then stops. Wait 3 - 5 mins and turn it back on and it will run for ~ 5 mins. Can repeat this sequence for quite … read more
Michael
Michael