volvoexpert1
volvoexpert1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Volvo Master Technician with 15 years excusively with Volvos. Also ASE L1certified for over 10 years.
62799617

2009 VOLVO S40: KEY WILL NOT POP OPEN THE TRUNK..LATCH..LICENSE PLATE

I HAVE A 2009 VOLVO S40. THE KEY WILL NOT POP OPEN THE TRUNK LATCH. ALSO THE BUTTON LATCH ABOVE LICENSE PLATE WILL NOT POP TRUNK OPEN. I HAVE ALREADY DISENGAGED THE VALET OPTION. STILL NOTHING... I ORDERED A NEW VOLVO TRUNK LOCK AND STILL NOTHING. DO YOU KNOW IF THIS NEW TRUNK LOCK NEEDS TO BE PROGRAMMED OR DO YOU KNOW OF ANY OTHER COMMON FAILURES.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  volvoexpert1 replied 5 years ago.

volvoexpert1 : Hello! There is mothing that needs to e programmed for this to work. The hanle switch and the latch are or connected to the CEM central electronic module. There is only one connector... The trunk lid connector... Between the trunk and the CEM. Its near the left trunk hinge. It may not be fully latched in. The only fuses involved protect the whole CEM and cover a lot of function so youd likely have a lot of other things not working if they were blown. They are F4 and F18 in the underhood fusebox.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THANK YOU! XXXXX WAITING WE FOUND THE TRUNK HARNESS HAD BROKEN WIRES IN THE LOOM. NOW THE TRUNK SWITCH POPS THE TRUNK BUT WILL NOT WITH REMOTE. WE TRIED WITH THE OLD LOCK AND NEW LOCK BUT STILL THE REMOTE WILL NOT POP TRUNK. ANY IDEAS?

On the S40 pushing the trunk button on the remote does not pop the trunk... It only energizes the handle switch to let you open the trunk. Try this, i think you may find that you now have it working as designed.