Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

2001 S80: sedan..check engine light..following codes..circuit low

Customer Question
2001 S80 sedan T6 The check...
2001 S80 sedan T6

The check engine light has been coming on, I plugged a diagonostic unit in and got the following codes P0236 - turbo boost sensor "A" CKT range performance &
P0237 sansoe "A" circuit low input.

What do these codes mean and how do I fix?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/10/2012
Volvo Mechanic: volvoexpert1, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
volvoexpert1
volvoexpert1, ASE Certified Technician

volvoexpert1 : These codes typically indicate a faulty or disconnected boos pressure sensor.
Customer:
volvoexpert1 : The boost pressure sensor is on the horizontal air duct beteaan the intercooler and throttle body. Be careful handling the sensor because the plastic latches that hol it may have become brittle. The BPS is one of 2 sensors about 3" apart. It has the 45degree angled connector. Make sure it's plugged on to the sensor, and that the sensor is in the duct.
Customer:

would these sensors be located directly behind the cooling fan just to the driver side of car center?

volvoexpert1 : Yes, exactly!
Customer:

the BPS is plugged in and in th duct.

Customer:

is there any way to test the sensor?

volvoexpert1 : If you have a digital voltmeter, you can check the 5 volt DC supply voltage coming to the sensor on one of the two leads, but any other tests require the us of VIDA. Most likely he sensor is bad, it's not uncommon.
Customer:

Do you have any tips to take it off without breaking the attachment tabs?

volvoexpert1 : The sensor has a tight fitting o-ring on it you have to Pry back one of the two tabs, pyy under the sensor on that side to lift it to where it hold the tab back , hold in this position and pry back the tab on the other side and pry under on that side. Three hands would be helpful.
volvoexpert1 : I did find a basic spec on the sensor, but even if it passes this it still may be defective. If you back probe the wires or pierce the wires, with the key on you should find 5 volts to ground on one wire, 1.96 volts to ground on the other.
Customer:

ok, thanks. Do have an estimate (best guess) for the cost of the BPS?

volvoexpert1 : My best guess on the price is about $50.
Customer:
volvoexpert1
volvoexpert1, ASE Certified Technician
I have a probem. I picked up a boost pressure sensor from a dealer and it doesn't fit. it has a hole for an attachment bolt. I questioned this while there and they told me the part I described is a MAP sensor and that the boost pressure sensor was located closer to the radiator. When I got home (wife's car) and looked I could not find the part they gave me. (p/n 8677288). I saw the location on the schematic they showed me but it is not on my car. The base is square with a circular probe (~3/8") and the electrical connector comes out at 45 deg. relative to the base. Do I have the wrong part or is it located somewhere else on the vehicle?
Relist: Other.
Not sure if it is accuracy or incomplete information.
Volvo Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 5 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
The map sensor and boost sensor SHOULD be the same part. I usually test em the easy way by swapping them out and rechecking.
Is there any way you can post a picture of your car so I can make sure you are looking at the right thing.. just show me a picture of the area it is and describe it. But it should be in the turbo piping right in front of the radiator.
This is a view of the parts in question. you can see the raditor fan and piping running parallel to the radiator. I believe the MAP sensor has the wire with the yellow casing. the plug is at a 45 deg angle from the piping.
That is your boost pressure sensor. The MAP sensor is located under the fuel rail. The sensor you picked up should look exactly like that one. If not they gave you the wrong one.
Hello! The parts department accidentally sold you a sensor for a 2003 or later model. 2003 and up has it in the intercooler close to the radiator.Your 2001 takes a 9125462. Terminology is often different in the parts system , and the parts people will call this a MAP sensor.The price is actually about $100.
volvoexpert1
volvoexpert1
volvoexpert1, ASE Certified Technician