Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

2002 Volvo S40: 120k miles..cylinder head..thats the head gasket

Customer Question
I am looking at buying...
I am looking at buying a 2002 Volvo S40 with 120k miles. The price is $2000 due to a cylinder head replacement....Wondering if that's the head gasket and also what I would be looking at to do it myself. The car is IMMACULATE. I do not have the VIN yet, but let's just assume it's clean. How much do you think it would cost? The link to the car is below.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/2761508071.html
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Volvo
12/20/2011
Volvo Mechanic: SNAPONTECH, Technician replied 6 years ago
SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician

SNAPONTECH :

Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

SNAPONTECH :

The headgasket is between the head and block

SNAPONTECH :

Seller states the Head is bad

SNAPONTECH :

So I will inform you based on a bad head

SNAPONTECH :

Could be a cracked head most common to happen

SNAPONTECH :

1101.00 for a new head from the dealership and 14 hours of labor

SNAPONTECH :

Your best option is to go through a local salvage yard or www.car-parts.com get a used engine with a warranty normally under 1000

Customer:

and then the labor to replace it?

SNAPONTECH :

I have come across them for 500 or so than do the engine swap yourself to save money

Customer:

I'm not mechanically inclined lol

SNAPONTECH :

13.3 hours to do a long block

SNAPONTECH :

So less labor and I know independent shops will use parts from carparts most use this themselves

Customer:

so long story short, I buy the car for $2k, but probably spend at least another grand on repairs

SNAPONTECH :

Yes

Customer:

that's what I was afraid of

SNAPONTECH :

Tell the guy you will give him 1500 since you have to put in 1000

Customer:

yeah that's my plan....

Customer:

I have a mechanic that runs his own shop, could see what his rate would be, he's typically very fair

SNAPONTECH :

Just tell him you have priced it out and based off the high amounts of cash its not worth your time unless he is willing to work on the price

SNAPONTECH :

The hours are normally the same no matter what shop

SNAPONTECH :

But based on the shop is the hourly rate which can save you money

Customer:

the car with a good engine is worth a lot more than $2k I'm assuming

SNAPONTECH :

Yes

SNAPONTECH :

You can check on www.kbb.com

Customer:

that's what I'm doing right now lol

SNAPONTECH :

Or www.nadaguides.com

Customer:

well thanks for confirming for me

SNAPONTECH :

Both are different on the vehicles

SNAPONTECH :

I have found sometimes one is more accurate than another

Customer:

ok, I'll check both then

SNAPONTECH :

But you should be 1000 under the lowest value when buying the vehicle to be a great deal

SNAPONTECH :

Let me know if you need anything else. If I have answered your questions to your satisfactory please take a moment to kindly press the green ACCEPT button. Thanks in advance Danny

Customer:

right

Customer:

thanks man, appreciate the time

SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician
SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH
SNAPONTECH, Technician