hauto
hauto, Technician
Experience:  worked on volvo's in a volvo dealership for 5 years, factory trained, run own repair shop now.
24868125

Volvo S60 2.5T AWD i am doing a timing belt replacement kit

Customer Question

i am doing a timing belt replacement kit on a 2004 s60 volvo 2.5t awd the kit shows that i must line up dots on both pullies on top but i only see the letter m marked on each pully. I have rotated camshaft pulley for over ten minutes with the two m markings not lining up in the top positions. Also do i need to remove camshaft pully or is the V stamp on the cam shaft pully my proper marking?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using JA

What ever you do DON'T remove the cam pulley or pulleys.(very complicated to reinstall and this isn't needed for the belt replacement.

the cam pulleys have a mark on them the mark looks like a fine slice(groove) find those then turn the engine until they line up with the same marks on the timing cover.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about the pully on bottom I have the same chilton photo a bit vage that's why I contacted u
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.

If you check the diagram closely the behind the crank pulley you'll see a smaller wheel that has teeth were the arrow points towards the engine also has a slight groove that groove should line up with the one the block, very fine hard to see, but there use a small flash light. once you line up the cam pulleys the bottom should line up. if you don't see it the first time turn the motor another time line up the top the bottom should be there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can I get the crank pully of I don't have the volvo tool in the dayco diagram can I use a c clamp to hold it need sugestion
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.
you don't need a tool, pry it off with a long screw driver. wiggle side to side it comes off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I get the big pully nut off on the outside of the crank pully without it moving
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.
for that you'll need a 1/2 inch impact and compressed air, there is no other way.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
.the car has 118000 miles on it belt and pullys look good would it be ok to drive it for a week untill I can get an impact.
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.
The timing belt replacement should have been done at 105k. you don't want to stretch this beyond 120k. so another week should be ok.