Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

2008 Volvo S40 2.4i: I check the transmission fluid level

Customer Question
How do I check the...
How do I check the transmission fluid level and the power steering fluid level on my 2008 Volvo S40 2.4i?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Volvo
8/24/2011
Volvo Mechanic: Andy, Volvo Expert Technician replied 6 years ago
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician

Andy :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question.

Andy :

The power steering reservoir is concealed behind the passenger headlight assembly, in the wheel well

Andy :

The transmission fluid is easier to check from underneath. The dipstick is short and yellow in color. It is located under the airbox/ECM housing

Customer:

Does the PS reservoir have a dip stick?

Andy :

No it does not, the level is marked on the side of it

Customer:

When I changed my oil for the first time I tried to check the transmission

Customer:

fluid level but found it to be quite difficult while lying on my back under

Customer:

the car.

Andy :

Yeah, it isn't a very easy to access dipstick

Andy :

You can remove the plastic cover over the ECM and try to reach the dipstick from the top

Customer:

Can Mobil-1 automatic transmission fluid be used in the Volvo transmission?

Andy :

It has to meet JWS3309 requirements

Andy :

Check the label to see if it does

Andy :

Volvo does not have a service interval for the transmission

Customer:

Ok

Andy :

Also, the TCM monitors driving conditions and adapts the shift pressures to compensate for wear in the transmission and of the fluid

Andy :

If the fluid is changed, the counters need to be reset at the dealership

Customer:

Is the Volvo dealership the only one who can do this?

Andy :

Yes, unless you have an independent shop that specializes in Volvo enough to invest in the same communication equipment to communicate with the TCM

Customer:

I see...

Customer:

Do the Volvo dealerships backflush or drain the tranny fluid?

Customer:

What do they normally charge for this service?

Andy :

The dealership I work for does not perform transmission flushes because they are not recommended by Volvo. However, some dealerships may have a flush program. Pricing will vary from dealer to dealer. The fluid is quite expensive, at about $20/quart. So the service wouldn't be cheap

Customer:

I bought my Volvo used last October with 83,000 miles. It now has
90,000 miles and I am wondering if transmission service is needed.

Customer:

Backflushing a transmission is not a good thing to due in my opinion.

Andy :

Unless the vehicle is used for towing, there is no service required

Customer:

You mean it is not recommended to change the fluid and filter normally?

Andy :

Click Here for the maintenance chart for your vehicle

Andy :

There is no filter

Andy :

Volvo does not have a recommended service interval unless the vehicle is used for towing

Andy :

At 90,000 miles, all that needs to be done is change the oil and filter, replace the cabin filter and then various checks

Customer:

There are NO leaks anywhere. I am a little concerned about the timing
belt and idler pulleys etc. I do my own oil changes.

Customer:

Is the timing belt something that I can do myself when needed?

Andy :

The timing belt is due at 120,000 miles on that car

Andy :

It can be done yourself if you feel comfortable doing the job

Customer:

This is our first Volvo so the maintenance is a little different than
American cars. We love the car though.

Andy :

They are good cars

Customer:

Well, thanks Andy. One thing more...would it be possible for a Volvo
dealership to update the car's software so that we would have the trip
computer activated?

Andy :

The trip computer is part of an option that can be added at the dealership

Customer:

The hardware seems to be there, just not activated.

Andy :

It involves replacing the left steering wheel stalk and performing a software download

Customer:

Oh, another thing. When I move the turn signal lever to the left, the
blinker blinks 3 times, like normal. But when I move it to the right, it just
keeps blinking until I fiddle with it. Is this an adjustment than correct
this?

Andy :

That could be a problem with the stalk itself, there is no adjustment

Customer:

Okay. One last thing. How can I prevent my head lamps from burning
out prematurely. They seem to operate at full voltage day and night.
There is no difference when setting at "0" or "I".

Andy :

There is no voltage difference, the car has daytime running lights. You can drive with the parking lights on but then you have to remember to turn them off when you leave the vehicle. I am sorry, but site policy is that each question includes follow up questions related to the original question only. We are compensated per accept. I normally have no problem with some freebies, but given the relatively low question value and the fact I have answered unrelated add on questions already, I cannot continue to do so. New questions need to be opened as new, separate questions.

Customer:

Sorry Andy. I thought I would ask a couple more questions because I did
not feel that the original question was worth $14 for an answer. I don't
mind paying if I believe I am getting some valued information though.

Andy :

Because they were not complex, I don't mind answering them some "freebies". But your deposit is for the original question.

Andy :

Just for future reference :)

Customer:

I understand that and I will accept your answer. Can anything be done
about the headlights AND taillights being on ALL the time?

Andy :

There may be a software download for the DRLs but I don't know off hand, I've never had a customer request that

Andy :

I don't think there is on that model though

Andy :

I have access to a parts catalog from home, but it is not as complete as the one at work. The one I have here does not show a download for that

Customer:

Thanks Andy for your patience and your replies.
Have a good night...

Andy :

You're welcome. Good luck with your S40

Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician