Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Car was driven fine this morning...kind of like an automatic weapon

Customer Question
Car was driven fine this...
Car was driven fine this morning. But now car will not start. In place of start, there is a rapid fire rat-at-tat sound, kind of like an automatic weapon, or a hyped up woodpecker. Tried again, car started without a problem.  Afraid to use car in the event that I go somewhere and the same problem arises and I can't get it restarted .  2002 S80 model.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Volvo
7/4/2011
Volvo Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Hello sorry for the delay,

This is a sure sign that there are poor connections at the battery cables where they connect to the battery resulting in a voltage drop which in turn makes that noise.(by the way i love your analogy of a hyped up woodpecker) Remove them and clean real good with a wire brush and you should be good to go!

If you have further questions feel free to reply. Please remember we use an honor system and you have to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. Your question does not close and you can post back right here at anytime for related info for no extra charge.
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic