Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

2001 S80: timing belt..2.9 Volvo and cant get the gears to line up

I'm trying to change the timing belt on my 2001 S80 2.9 Volvo and can't get the gears to line up. Please advise. Thanks! ron

Andy :

Hello

Andy :

So you are unable to locate the marks?

Andy :

Or you located them but they do not line up?

Customer:

I am unable to locate the marks. Do they sometimes have no marks???

Andy :

No, I've never seen one with no marks

Andy :

The mark on the crank can't be seen with the crank pulley on. But the marks on the cams can be seen

Customer:

Any ideas?

Andy :

I have some pictures, one moment

Customer:

Thanks. They look similar to the pics that we got off of the CD manual. I'll pass these on to my mechanic friend. He is the one saying that there aren't any in sight. He hasn't pulled the crank pulley, but says that he can't see any on the other two cams...

Andy :

I've done hundreds of timing belts and never seen one without marks

Andy :

The second picture is from the manual. The first I took myself at work

Customer:

That's encouraging. Maybe he's looking for something different. He is not a Volvo mechanic.

Andy :

Yeah, they are pretty small but they are certainly there

Customer:

Anything else that you could tell us to help with this project? He's done other timing belts but not on Volvos...

Andy :

I have a picture of the mark on the crank too, one moment

Andy :

With the pulley removed, you can see the ridge on the flange. It lines up with the mark on the block. Those are indicated with red arrows

Andy :

Some will have very, very tiny marks on two of the teeth, indicated by yellow arrows

Andy :

Once he gets the cams lined up, the crank should be lined up. I start by loosening the nut for the crank pulley with an impact, this way it doesnt move the belt when things are lined up

Andy :

Then I put the nut back on and turn the motor by hand using the nut until the cams line up. Then use the impact to remove the nut again, remove the crank pulley and verify the mark

Customer:

Great! That should help! At least give him more of an idea of what he's looking for. Thanks!

Andy :

No problem. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please remember to click accept so I can receive credit for my answer. You can still post to this question even after the accept is made if you need further help.

Customer:

If I hit "save & exit" I will still be able to call this page back up for him to see, right?

Andy :

Save and exit just makes sure your message has gone through. You can call this question up by logging into your account and clicking "My Questions"

Andy :

It will be in "My Questions" even after accepted

Customer:

Ok thanks!