Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

Volvo XC90 2.5T i have had a low coolant warning 3 times in

i have had a low coolant warning 3 times in the last 2 months and have had to top the coolant up.There is no sign of a leak does this mean the head gasket is going.If i remove the coolant cap when the car is cold there is some pressure present
Yes it very well could be . Does it ever smoke out the exhaust or run hot?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no smoking or running hot drives no differently to before
Ok most likely you have a very slight leak or faulty sensor for the cooling system. What needs to be do is the cooling system need to be pressure tested to see if there are any signs of leaks. If there are no leaks then the sensor for the low coolant signal is most likely faulty . If it was a faulty headgasket there would be smoke out the exhaust and it would be running hot. These are what need to be checked next . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not sure i agree with you.it is unlikely to be the sensor as when the coolant is checked when the warning comes on the coolant is at the minimum level.i top it up to the max and several weeks later it is down again .So either leak despite none visible or head gasket as i thought?
Ok of it's losing that much coolant it's either a small leak or headgasket issue. Need to pressure test the cooling system to rule out the leak. As for the headgasket the can test for excessive hydrocarbons out the neck of the radiator with the cap off and the vehicle running. This tell us if there's exhaust in the coolly system if so the headgasket is bad . Hoped this helped . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I thought the first step would be to pressure test the coolant system to see if there is a leak we cant see.However could you please explain how you can tell if excessive hydrocarbons are coming out of the neck of the radiator to tell if the head gasket has a problem.I was informed by the Volvo garage that several hours of work required to remove head gasket to test it properly
No absolutely not . This is what needs to be done this takes a sample of the vapors out of the cooling system and if the fluid changes color it's telling you there is exhaust gas in the cooling system from a faulty headgasket . Here's what the tester looks like takes all of 10 minutes to test.
ClickHere
Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for that information.Car going in to volvo garage on thursday .Hopefully i wont have to argue with them about how to test the head gasket.With any luck they will find a leak on the pressure test for the coolant.
Anytime . Don't forget to click the green accept button so I get credit for my help. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.