vwnewton
vwnewton, ASE Master and L1, Gm,VW,European
Experience:  Numerous years in European auto repair. You name it, I can help!
13710235

1998 Volvo S90: my gear selector wont move from park..shifter

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Volvo S90 my gear selector won't move from park...attempted to use override button but does not release... fiddled around hard to tell how switch works under leather cover...after allot attempts with button and shifter the shifter finally moved from park...Put back to park and is still locked...what next???
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Brian replied 6 years ago.

Brian :

welcome, I would check to see if you have brake lights this will tell you if the brake switch is working which is what releases the shift lock.The shift lock could also have come apart inside and is jamming the shift these are made of plactic and often fail.you will need to pop the cover of to see if this is what has happend. if you need further help let me know.Thanks Brian

Woody1243 :

Looks like brake lights did not come on...is brake switch something that anyone can swap out or does Volvo mechanic need too due to tricky covers location and fixing?

Brian :

any independant can do the switch for you .

Woody1243 :

So far I don't think this is worth $18 bucks...is there any more expert opinion or information on this...what does independent mean? any mechanic...so I have to have towed to fix?

Brian :

I have opted out so other experts can give there opinion do not respond to this post or your question will be locked to me

Expert:  vwnewton replied 6 years ago.
Hello, Jason here to help. Have you checked all the fuses? Since the brake lights do not come on, fuse number 3 in the drivers dash side panel needs to be checked, along with the others. The brake light switch that Brian mentioned is a big possible problem if the fuses are good. There are other main fuse panels under the hood, and if I recall, the passenger side dash also. Fuse 3 is the power source for the brake lights, and shift interlock...Let me know how the fuses check out. Jason
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I pulled fuse 3 its good...pulled all fuses all good except fuse 10 cigarette lighter accessory socket was blown...replaced...same shifter wont move
Expert:  vwnewton replied 6 years ago.
The brake light switch is either bad, or the wiring at the switch is at fault most likely. The brake light switch is located under the dash and is not a difficult repair. The under panel of the dash on the drivers side will need to be pulled out. A few torx(star shaped) screws if I recall will allow the trim to be removed. The brake light switch is around 35$ online at : http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQVolvoQQS90QQOES_GenuineQQBrake_Light_SwitchQQ19971998QQW0133-1621188.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85c7ab9e&apwidxb29BjD
Cut and paste that to your browser.
If fuse number 3 is good, as well as the other fuses, and the brake lights don't work and it won't come out of park, the switch is the likely culprit. The shifter needs a input from the brake light switch to allow it to shift.
Experience: Numerous years in European auto repair. You name it, I can help!