Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Location of PCV valve on 96 850 (non-turbo)..blow..dipstick

Customer Question
Location of PCV valve on...
Location of PCV valve on '96 850 (non-turbo) and is that most likely cause of blow-by out the dipstick?
Can it be cleaned or would it need to be replaced?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Volvo
7/8/2010
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Its called the flame trap assembly. It is in the freshair intake hose coming off the air box. you twist it out and inside is a honeycomb flame trap asssembly. If it is clogged then yes it could cause blow by. Go to a parts house and ask for the flame trap assembly, then you'll know what your going to need to replace. Parts are minimal . prob. under 10 bucks. Also make sure that the vacuum nipple coming off the flame trap housing is clear. You may need to take a drill bit and clean it out some.. make sure the vacuum line is good and that will most likely help your blow by problem.
Under this plastic shroud at the right end of the engine on the front there's an L shaped hose going into what looks like a PCV valve... it has 3 nipples on the front each covered with rubber caps. If I remove the large hose there is a sucking noise and the engine dies if left off more than a couple of seconds. Am I in the right area?

The parts (under $10) are not available at local parts store for 5 days so I won't know if this fixes problem or not until next week.
I believe you are taking loose the idle air control valve hose, and it will kill the engine when you remove it do to a large vacuum leak. Look at this link and tell me if you see a round black housing in your intake air hose. I'm pretty sure 96 non turbo had it right in the air intake hose. Here's what the flame trap honeycomb looks like and it will be housed inside that black part that hangs off your intake air hose. I'm not 100 percent on that. If you don't see anything sticking out of your air intake hose from the filter to the throttle body you may not have it. Been a while since I've had a 96 model in my bay.

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/parts/volvo/850/flame_trap.html

Thanks for your help... we're out of town until next Wednesday... will continue then.

Winston
OK, just re-post to this thread when your ready.. thanks!

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician