Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

01 volvo cod p0128

Customer Question
01 volvo cod p0128
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/27/2010
Volvo Mechanic: hauto, Technician replied 8 years ago
hauto
hauto, Technician
engine coolant temp sensor faulty signal, replace the engine coolant temp sensor and engine thermostat.

I could be expert to

Symptoms

• Check Engine Light on
  • Vehicle may not shift into the highest gear at freeway speed
  • Decrease in fuel economy
  • In unusual cases, there are no adverse conditions noticed by the driver

Common Problems That Trigger the P0128 Code

what is the question on the second reply, are you looking for more info. thanks
Volvo Mechanic: Andy, Volvo Expert Technician replied 8 years ago
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician

While that code could be a coolant temperature sensor or sticking thermostat, there is also a software upgrade for the ECM that is commonly needed to remedy the code. The only way to tell is to take it to the dealer so they can plug it in and read the current software part number and check for an update. If the car has a lot of miles and needs the software update, I give the customer the option to replace the ECT and thermostat or just try the software. Most of the time, the software takes care of it but sometimes the car comes back and winds up getting the ECT and thermostat replaced, as well as new coolant.