Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1993 240 sedan air conditioning..stop light..air flow..mechanical…

Customer Question
My 1993 240 sedan air...
My 1993 240 sedan air conditioning works great--going down the road. At a stop light, not so much. There seems to be good air flow through the condenser, the mechanical fan works well. My question is, shouldn't the electric pusher fan start soon after the ac clutch engages? According to the wiring diagram in my manual, the fan relay should be controlled by the AC switch(thermostat type). I don't know where that switch is, or where the high side service port is, for that matter. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Curt from Bellevue
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/25/2010
Volvo Mechanic: Brian, Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Brian
Brian, Mechanic

Hi and welcome. When the a/c is turned on the and compressor activates the aux fan comes on. The pressure switch is the switch you are talking about this is located on the drier . the high side port is on the compressor. The fan is designed to cool the engine if you are not getting cool air at idle this could be a restriction or you need a compressor. the expansion valve is most common cause of restriction this is located under the dash behind the glove box. If you have any other questions let me know.

Thanks

Brian

Brian
Brian, Mechanic

The switch I was looking for was the pressure sens thermostat switch, not the switch on the drier. After searching around,(which I was hoping to avoid) I found it in the line going from the condenser back through the firewall. It has one black wire and one gray wire. The Volvo part number on it is(NNN) NNN-NNNN Its resistance is more than 20k ohms, whether the compressor is running or not. At what pressure should this switch close? If I replace it, do I have to discharge the system, or does it have a schroeder valve under it? Also, the only thing that looks like a high side fitting on the compressor is on the back, by the discharge line, but that doesn't have a quick-coupler type fitting. Do I have to switch my high side gauge hose to an older style for this application?

this switch is a pressure switch just like the one on the drier and should be in the normal open position so the 20k is correct when a/c is activated and pressure is right the switch is turn on and resistance goes to zero.I have never had one of these go on a 240. if the pressure is correct then you resistance should go to zero.the high side on the compressor will need a 134a fitting but you don't need the high side to charge system.

Thanks

Brian