Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 Volvo S70: T5..A problem just started with the turbo engine…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 Volvo...
I have a 1998 Volvo S70 T5. A problem just started with the turbo engine. When I boot the accelator, there is no power to the engine. The motor revs, but it feels like the transmission is slipping ie no power. I changed the transmission fluid and the catalytic converter. Any ideas, we are at a loss???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/24/2010
Volvo Mechanic: Bill, Technician replied 8 years ago
Bill
Bill, Technician

Good afternoon, I hope I can help you.

If the engine revs ok but there is no power or acceleration then problem is with either the torque converter or the transmission.

This is a job for fully equipped workshop to carry out tests to pinpoint exactly where fault lies.

Bill.

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

I am also an independent mechanic, with an equipped workshop. This problem has perplexed me.

The problem not in the transmission, from the tests that I have done, the problem is a lack of power. The fue/pressure is perfect.

There is something bypassing internally in the Turbo causing it not to run properly.

I was hoping someone had experienced this problem, before I have to go through all the work of pulling the turbo off and see if there is a crack. I'm thinking the wastegate may be by-passing and not creating pressure.

I understand your reply regarding the transmission, but have you ever experieced the problem that I wrote about?

Cheers,

From your question you seemed to imply it was a transmission fault as you had already changed the fluid and it hadn't helped.

If you think fault is with turbo then you can connect a boost guage and check that it is giving pressure.

If it is, then turbo is not the fault. If you have no guage then gripping the hose from the turbo to the throttlebody and then revving the engine should enable you to feel the hose inflating and being difficult to hold.

This of course is not an accurate diagnosis of boost pressure but does indicate if it is doing something or not.

It is possible that the wastegate could be seized in the open position. I have seen this before on other makes of car, so it does happen.

Bill.

Bill
Bill, Technician

Good Morning Bill. All these test and more have been done. I know the problem, and I know the fix, But before I install a new turbo on the vehicle I want to find if anyone else experienced this problem and find out the reason or cause of the problem so I don't have another plugged catalytic converter on turbo issue. Turbo issues are common on some makes of vehicles but Volvo has had turbo cars for so long that it really seems to be one of their strong points. That being said it could just be that the turbo has worn out but I just want to be sure. Any more thoughts. I will approve the $9.Thanks

Most vehicle manufacturers use turbos from the same supplier such as Garret. It may just be down to owners of volvos following the service schedule better that ensures they give less trouble rather than them being 'better turbos'.

If your cat was plugged then this would only be caused by a turbo that was worn and allowing oil to enter the exhaust system.

If that wasn't happening then other ignition / fuel faults maybe the cause of the faulty cat, so you should make sure all is checked.

Bill.