Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 V70: starting problem..it wont crank..driven and then parked…

Customer Question
2001 V70 has develpoed...
2001 V70 has develpoed a starting problem....sometimes it won't crank and sometimes it cranks but does not fire. this happens after it has been driven and then parked. A wait usually results in a quick start. A local garage thinks "it is related to the security system and the dealer needs to correct it."
Any experience with this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/23/2010
Volvo Mechanic: Jim B, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Jim B
Jim B, ASE Certified Technician
Hi this is Jim
You could have a problem with the antenna ring. It is located on the ign switch tumbler. First thing is to retrieve any codes and see it there is one for the ignition key not being read. The scanner I use, not a code reader, will read the keys. Once I put the key it it will let me know which key I have installed. If if can not "see" the key then it will disable the fuel system. So you have a couple of choices , once is the dealer the second would be a shop that has Volvo experience. This is a starting point on your vehicle. If that is your problem you would be looking around $250 at our shop to diagnose , and install the new part. Let me know if you need more help on this.
Thank you,
Jim
Please let me know if you need more assistance or help on this ..

thank you,
Jim B