Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 volvo: trip..clouds of blue oil smoke till you touch throttle…

Customer Question
I have an intermttent smokiing...
I have an intermttent smokiing of my 2004 volvo xc 90. It only smokes at idle but not every trip just once in a while. And when I say smoke it belches out clouds of blue oil smoke till you touch throttle
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/21/2010
Volvo Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 8 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Hello JACUSTOMER, when this happens does it only continue until the engine warms up?
no temperature does not make a difference. it happens sometimes when idling in driveway and other times aftre you've driven for an hour or more. if you place car in nuetral and rev up to 1500 to 1700 rpm it stops. like i said it is a real intermittent thing, but when it does it its real bad, thanks
Okay. There are some problems with the valve guide seals leaking on this engine. Most of the time these will cause the smoking on initial start up and somtimes when idling. It may also be a turbo issue. the turbo may be leaking internally and causing this.