Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My cruise control is acting up a bit. how do I change it?

Customer Question
my cruise control is acting up a bit. how do I change it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/16/2010
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, I would like you to inspect your vaccuum line going to your cruise control. There is a vaccuum line near the battery tray. Might even be under the battery tray. Sometimes battery acid will get on that plastic line and put a hole in it. Once you get a hole in that vaccuum line the cruise won't work. Thats the first thing I would check. You may have to pull the battery and battery tray out to access the vaccuum line. Check that line and let me know if I'm right. thanks,

Eddie, I pulled the bat tray but unclear what to look at now.... can you tell me what the vacuum line looks like or send me a picture so I can inspect the line..

also I'd like to be clearer on my problem which only happened once a few months ago. I use the cruise alot, and on a trip when I turned it on it did not respond. I tried everything, on/off accel. and decel then after a few minutes the switch just started working again and has not been a problem since. I have found an 850 95' in the junk yard so I thought if my cruise is going that I could buy whatever I need used off that junker to replace mine with.

could the problem be the switch which is the lever that also controls the dim/bright lights on my steering column? Bob

Should be a small vacuum motor on the drivers side inner fender well underneath that battery tray.. should have a couple vaccuum lines going to it and one 3 wire connector.
That is the vaccuum line you want to inspect.. Also, you can pull down your drivers side dash under panel, you want to look at the gas pedal. The cruise servo that connects to the gas pedal sometimes the linkage will break.. There is a cruise servo that has a little arm that snaps onto the gas pedal.. Look at that too and you should be able to push the servo by hand and see the gas pedal move. If you had any A/C work done lately they may have forgot to put it back on. Take a flash light and let me know if the servo/arm/gas pedal linkage under the dash is ok.
Sorry, I didn't respond sooner to your question, For some reason it didn't send me an email alert.. My apologies
Here's a good link showing a good picture of the servo and gas pedal linkage.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/service/850/CruiseControlSystem.pdf

eddie, I looked at all the wires and things under my battery holder and all looks OK.

anyway now my AC isn't working! it doesn't sound like my compressor is turning on, I checked the fuses and OK. I did find one wire with a funny connector that is not hooked to anything near the bat holder, wondering if that gets hooked to something under my bat. holder??? I can't see anywhere to plug it in otherwise. could it be the wire to my AC /compressor. Eddie the fan and the ac switch light comes on when I turn it on but no cold air.....the ac worked fine before I dissconnected the bat and removed the bat holder!!! Bob

Please help me with my A/C problem ASAP its in the high 90's !!!!! Bob
Hey Bob, Now I don't see any reason at all why just removing the battery tray could affect the air conditioner.. Thats a new one on me, I don't believe there are any wires over there near the battery for the A/C either. Look for the low side switch on the receiver dryer (should be near the firewall and it will have a 2 wire connector going to it). and take a paper clip or jumper wire and jump the low side switch with the a/c running. See if the air compressor kicks on then.