Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Car was running rough and I changed out one of the coils...wont fire…

Customer Question
Car was running rough and...
Car was running rough and I changed out one of the coils. Now it wont fire at all. Any ideas
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/14/2010
Volvo Mechanic: AMEDEE, ASE TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, ASE TECHNICIAN

Hello!

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.