Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Volvo S60: with automatic transmission..timing belt..tensioner…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Volvo...
I have a 2004 Volvo S60 with automatic transmission and am trying to change the timing belt. I have purchased the replacement belt, tensioner, water pumpt and new idler pulley. I've done this on my 850 with manual transmission, but this time the belt does not seem long enough to fit. I've compared the old belt to the new and they are the same length. All of the other new parts are identical and same size to the old ones I removed. So what exactly are the steps to get this to happen?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/14/2010
Volvo Mechanic: Enes, VOLVO Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

did you buy volv belt or non volvo belt>?

what is your problem you cant put the belt over the gears ?

I bought a Gates belt and confirmed that it is the one for this car and compared it to the Volvo belt -- they are both the same size. I even put the old Volvo belt back on and have the same issue.

The problem is that the timing belt won't fit over the gears on the cam shafts and the water pump at the same time. Even taking the gear off of one cam shat still won't fit. Same issue with the Volvo belt.

did they cam gears move ? you removed the cam gear from the camshaft?

it will be hard to say what is wrong best is you can have somehow record me a video digital camera let some one reocord what you doing it than post it online and i can take look what is going on that would be best way . we can try to talk like this but i dont see what you see like this

I tried removing the cam gear to see if that would give enough slack to allow the belt to fit on the other gears. The timing belt did not fit even with the cam gear removed. I put the cam gear back on.

I have routed the belt around the crankshaft gear, the right cam gear, the left cam gear, and over the timing belt tensioner. I have the belt near the water pump and have tried moving the adjustment on the belt tensioner to give me some slack and it won't fit over the water pump gear.

Suggestions?

i dont know like this to tell you anything i have to see it .the last thing is to put belt over the belt tenssioner . i will repost your question and exit if someone else has idea it will respond to you

I understand the last step is to put the belt over the tensioner. I also understand that the best thing would be to have a picture. I don't have a digital camera sorry. So what is the order for routing the timing belt over the gears?
tell me did you move the gears if you moved or removed gears than you moved the camshaft you need special tool to line up now camshaft i need to know what you did with the camshaft gear you removed the center bolts all the way out ?i can send you only info with instructions how to do it if that can help you but i cant tell like this and i dont like to tell you wrong info small mistake on that you will bend the valves

Edited by ENES on 6/14/2010 at 2:25 AM EST