Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

volvo s40: turn the engine on or unlock the stering weal…

Customer Question
my volvo s40 imoboliser is...
my volvo s40 imoboliser is on and and stering weal is locked and i can not turn the engine on or unlock the stering weal
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/12/2010
Volvo Mechanic: Enes, VOLVO Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

the problem you will need new steering wheel lock unit that part is electronic controlled solenoid goes bad located under you steering colum it is not easy to change you have to drill the bolts out to get it removed .

and for immobilizer it can that problem if your ignition key is bad and ecu cant read the key than the steering wheel lock solenoid will not unlock you will have to use first advanced scanner to make sure your key and module are ok than you can move to next step

testing the steering wheel lock

Edited by ENES on 6/12/2010 at 4:50 PM EST
how much would it cost if goes to volvo dealer or can i take it to any other mechanic.
how much would it cost if goes to volvo dealer or can i take it to any other mechanic.are they two different problems
2 different problems you have the lock or the problem with immobilizer what is best to get it diagnosed at volvo dealer and than you can see where you like to fix it if you gone need lock solenoid is around 500-800 and immobilizer can be just key for 200 but if module and other parts price on that is around(NNN) NNN-NNNNdepends what you gone change