Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 volvo s70: remote start and it starts..only turn..accessory…

Customer Question
i have a 1998 volvo...
i have a 1998 volvo s70 and the ignition will not let me go past 1st position. It is locked up. Never had this happen before, I have remote start and it starts but can only turn the key to accessory position 1. Any ideas of what is going on here?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/11/2010
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, have you tried another ignition key by chance?

yes, talking to mechanics on phone they think its ignition locking cylinder. any suggestions?
Well I have had to replace ignition lock cylinders on that model many times. They are a common failure. Sometimes the key just spins around and around.. Other times it won't engage. You can TRY to arm yourself with a can of WD 40 and take the straw taped to the side of the can and stick the straw in the key hole. Give it a few generous sprays and lubricated the key when you slide it in. If its just a tumbler stuck that may free it up. Otherwise its most likely going to be a new lock cylinder in your vehicles future.

How much does that usually cost and is it something that has to go to volvo?

its around a $500 dollar job at the dealer. 300 for parts and 200 for labor. The ignition collar assembly (The component that houses the lock cylinder) Can only be used once. For security reasons that component has to be Cut off with a die grinder or chisel. So it's not like you can go to the salvage yard and get one unfortunately. They can really only be used once, and usually they get mangled when removing them. It would be my recommendation to at least order the part from the dealer. They order the lock cylinder VIN specific so all your current keys you have will fit your new lock cylinder. Shouldn't be more than 2.5 hours labor .