Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My car drive belt and timing belt snapped after the

Customer Question
tensioner seized. i changed the...
my car drive belt and timing belt snapped after the tensioner seized. i changed the belts and the starter but the car would not start
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
3/10/2010
Volvo Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic

What is the year, model and engine size please.

2000 volvo s80 t6 2.8l twin turbo

Thanks,

I put your question in the Volvo categories. Someone should be with you if they can help.

ok
Volvo Mechanic: Bill, Technician replied 8 years ago
Bill
Bill, Technician

Good evening, I hope I can help you.

Unfortunately, when the belt broke you would also have sustained damage to the valves in the cylinder head.

This results in either no or low compression in the cylinders which is why your engine wont start.

You can verify fault by removing sparkplugs and carrying out a cylinder compression test.

Bill.

when i try to start the car, the bellts r turning but just not starting

You said the timing belt snapped. I assume you just fitted a new one.

The valves will be damaged, believe me. Carry out a compression test to verify.

Bill.

even though the car just pulled off from a traffic light, not even a 1/8 of an block

Yes. Even one turn of crankshaft for a split second when out of phase with camshaft will result in damaged valves.

graphic

Bill.

Bill
Bill, Technician
how to fix

Do compression test first to confirm fault.

If compressions are low or zero then you will have to remove cylinder head, strip it down and replace all damaged parts.

Bill.

how do i do that

You need a compression guage. You then remove all the sparkplugs.

Fit the guage into one of the sparkplug holes and make sure it seals.

Crank engine over for at least 5 seconds and check the reading on the guage.

It should be at least 150 psi.

Check all the other cylinders the same way and compare readings.

I suspect one or more cylinders will read 50 psi or less.

Bill.