Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

How do you check the engine codes for a 1993 Volvo 940 turbo br / br / I

Customer Question
How do you check the...
How do you check the engine codes for a 1993 Volvo 940 turbo?

I also need the list of codes and the issue they represent.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
9/27/2009
Volvo Mechanic: Enes, VOLVO Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

click here for info how to read fault codes on you car munual and here is the list of fault codes for reference to you

DTCFault message
1-1-1No fault detected
1-1-2Control module fault
1-1-3Short term fuel trim (Lambda control) too lean/rich
1-2-1MAF sensor signal absent or faulty LH 2.4
1-2-1MAF sensor signal absent or faulty LH 3.1
1-2-3ECT signal absent or faulty
1-3-1Engine speed signal from 01 system absent on starting
1-3-2Battery voltage too low or too high
1-3-3TP switch signal faulty at idling LH 2.4
2-1-2HO2S signal absent or faulty
2-1-3TP switch signal faulty at full load LH 2.4
2-2-1Adaptive fuel trim too lean in part-load range
2-2-3IAC valve signal absent or faulty
2-3-1Adaptive fuel trim too lean or too rich in part-load range
2-3-2Adaptive fuel trim too lean or too rich at idling
3-1-1Speedometer signal absent
3-1-2No knock enrichment signal from 01 system
3-2-2MAF sensor burn off signal absent or faulty LH 2.4
4-1-1Throttle position sensor signal absent or faulty LH 3.1

DTCFault message
1-1-1No fault detected
1-4-2Control module fault
1-4-3KS signal absent or faulty
1-4-4Load signal from MFI system absent
1-5-4EGR system flow too high
2-1-4RPM sensor signal absent intermittently
2-2-4ECT sensor signal absent or faulty
2-3-4TP switch signal in idling position faulty
2-4-1EGR system flow too low (NTC)
2-4-1EGR system flow too low (PTC)
4-1-3EGR temperature sensor signal absent or faulty (NTC)
4-1-3EGR temperature sensor signal absent or faulty (PTC)

Glossary

The link to see how to read the fault codes downloads a file that is just a lot of strange writing. It does not tell me how to read the codes.

Retrieving Fault Codes

Diagnostic Interface in a 940 Turbo240" height="180"/>Diagnostic Interface in a 940 Turbo

Locate the diagnostic service interface. This is a little black plastic box located near the shock tower on the driver's side engine bay. This varies slightly from model to model. The protective cover must first be removed.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the car.
Locate the jumper lead (the plug stores in a pocket in the cover) and insert it into the socket number 6. Press the diagnostic button on the interface for about a second and a half, about the time required to say "Volvo Corporation".

The LED will begin flashing, with the flashes representing diagnostic codes. Flashes are presented in three groups of flashes (approximately 0.5 seconds), separated by a slightly longer interval: first, second and third, representing the first, second and third digit of a three-digit code. Have a look at this short video showing the LED flashing.

If the code presented is 1-1-1, that means that the register is empty and there are no fault codes stored. A non-1-1-1 fault code represents a specific trouble, which can be decoded using the associated table.
After a fault code has been recorded, press the button again, saying "Volvo Corporation".

The next code is displayed or, if there are no more codes, the first code is displayed again.

When all of the codes have been recorded, the buffer can be erased by first pressing and holding the button for five seconds and then releasing it.
After a brief pause, the LED should again light. Press and hold the button for an additional five seconds and then release. The LED should go out.

System Overview - System Components

if dont work than in email send me your email make it xxx @ xxx.com spaced out at @ or it will not post here for me to see it

Edited by ENES on 9/28/2009 at 1:18 PM EST

Retrieving Fault Codes

Diagnostic Interface in a 940 TurboDiagnostic Interface in a 940 Turbo

System Overview - System Components

OK, now I have a few codes:

2-1-4 RPM sensor signal absent or faulty - Is this the same as a crank position sensor? Should it be replaced?

2-3-1 Fuel trim to lean or rich in part load range - What does this mean?

3-1-2 No knock enrichment from 01 signal - What does this mean?

If it is a crank position sensor, where is it?

the part is between trans and engine if you look at the back side of the engine use strong flash light and look for black wire and sensor look here in picture this is from under the car i mark with red were it is you can see it from top and remove it from top

graphic

Edited by ENES on 9/28/2009 at 11:04 PM EST

Thanks Enes,

But I still have the questions about the codes and what thay mean:

2-1-4

2-3-1

3-1-2

See above for the questions.

231 and 312 you can have poor ingition ,bad mass air flow sensor or fuel pressure problem or vacuum leak you have to test that for fuel pressure test you need fuel gauge to test and scan tool to monitor mass air flow and oxygen sensor can slow or not working that fault codes 231 and 312 are triggerd by many factors and i listed them for you above

So 231 and 312 - bad mass air flow sensor, fuel pressure, vacuum leak, or oxygen sensor, or poor ignition. I can check these. what do you mean by poor ignition?

Is an RPM sensor a Crank Position Sensor?

poor ingition if the car is not running right where you dump to much fuel in exhuast making oxygen sensors read wrong like check spark plugs .ignition wiires

the fault code you have is for the part in picture i send you .

the rpm sensors/crank sensors one sensors is used for both monitoring.

Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Thank you
thank you
Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician