Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

2006 Volvo S40: fm works fine.

Customer Question
Hi, I am having an...
Hi, I am having an issue with my 2006 Volvo S40. The issue is poor AM radio reception. FM works fine. I have read that this has been an issue on earlier models, but haven't found any info on the 2006 model...any ideas? Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
7/21/2009
Volvo Mechanic: Enes, VOLVO Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
you will need new icm that your display controls am and fm am problem is inside the module you will need to go to volvo dealer to download new software to new part when installed or it will not work ,also you can check you back glass for any damage on heat grid if open you have to fix that first antena is in back glass .new display (radio) is around $700
Do you know if there is a TSB that may cover the cost of this repair? Thanks.
no public tsb but for am you will replace the cd head unit that is module it plays cd but there is big unit built in that for am and fm fuction that is also $700 icm display is posible also only if you have like frozen function problem or other problems if just no am or poor am just replace the cd unit head i forgot to to ask you or to tell you but now you know
i replace 2 -3 a week for no am problem cd unit so you know
Thank you for the reply. Maybe I need to clarify a little. I can receive AM stations, the closer I am to the station, then the reception drops off as I get farther away from the radio station. Does this sound like an antenna issue or other hardware like you suggest?

Thanks again...

all problems that we have am complaints here in chicago on volvo s40 2005 -2008 we replace cd unit player with posiblity new display 90% is the cd player your problem to me is cd player

i dont do any repairs to antenna due to never was bad i hope this helps you out what to do next step .

Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician