Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech, Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs volvo technician, Ase A1-A8, L1, A/C certified
12611739

04 Volvo XC90 T6: AWD..test drive..grinding..bearing..suv drives fine

Customer Question

I brought my '04 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD in to the dealer for the 60k service. They took it for a test drive and made the following note: "Angle gear is making grinding and whirring noise, pulled plug, found metal shavings in fluid, possible bearing, recommned replacing angle gear $2,780.00." My wife and I don't hear anything unusual and the SUV drives fine. How do we know if this is legit? What is the angle gear? What would happen if it fails? Is that a fair price? If so, why so high? What would you recommend?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike, volvo Tech replied 8 years ago.
the angle gear is like atransfer case, it changes the drive direction out of the transmission to the rear wheels. the price they gave you sounds fair. it is a big job to replace the angle gear and it is expensive for th epart, sounds lik e apretty good price price, if i recall correctly the part is about $1800.

If your not sure there is a problem find a volv ospecialist in your area and have it checked. get a second opinion. a volvo specialist at an independent is goin gto save you money and you most likely will get better service. make sure they have th evolv vida computer if you want them to do work on the car.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The information you provided only answered some of my questions. What will happen if we don't make the repair now and it fails later? Is there any down side to waiting other than the possibility of being stuck somewhere?
if you dont make the repairs, you could damage the drive between the transmission and the angle gear, you will get some bad noises from the angle gear, shouldnt leave you stranded anywhere though. if you wan tto prolong the reapir you can remove the propeller shaft that goes from the angle gear to the rear differential, and you will be only front wheel driv eat that point.