Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

2001 s40: volvo..blower..it appears the AC switch witch..resistor

Customer Question
Hi- My volvo 2001 s40...
Hi- My volvo 2001 s40 air blower came on and I can't turn it off. I removed the panel and it appears the AC switch witch has settings from 0-5 seems to be busted. But i read somehwere it could be a resistor? If so do you know where that part originates within the car? Thanks!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/6/2009
Volvo Mechanic: Jim B, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Jim B
Jim B, ASE Certified Technician

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The power stage does cause problems here is some info for you . Jim

Blower motor continues to run even when in the 0 speed. Shuts off when the key is turned off.
Tests/Procedures:1. Access the blower control module by removing the passenger side sound proofing panel.

2. Disconnect the connector. If the blower motor stops running, the blower control module is bad.
Potential Causes:Blower Motor Control Module
Tech Tips:It may be easier to access the module if the glove box is taken out of the vehicle.

graphic

Passengar side, remove noise barrier under unit. May have to access through glove box. Unlplug it ,, easy to change.. Dealer item..

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

OK, I want to 'accept' here, but I am a bit unclear on a couple things so maybe you can help clear it up.
Please forgive my ignorance, I really apprreciate your help!

What if the blower control module is fine, would it be the the switch? Is that straightforward Can you tell me the part numbers and/or where I can get them?

Does the 'resistor' diode come into play?

Thanks!

The power stage module or resistor pack, same thing, is easy to change I think 1 screw

Here is the part number Resistor 30864189 $49.41 price could be a little more. suggested list. Volvo dealer will have the part. If you have If it is the switch I do not have the part number at this moment but can get it. If you have automatic temp control then you have to replace complete control head. Hopefully just the resistor pack.

Let me know if you need more clarification. Jim

OK I think I understand. It is either the power stage module (in the service manual called the blower control module) or the switch. So if I disconnect the power stage module and it stops blowing, it needs to be replaced. If it keeps blowing its the switch.

I am not sure what you mean by Automatic Temp control. There is a third knob on the right that has the temperatures numbered. The middle knob has the defrost, air on legs, etc, and the right is 0-5 and aut, for power level. What would replacing the complete control head mean? That is different than the resistor pack i take it?

I really appreacite it!!

Yes to first statement.

Automatic means electronically controlled. Set it to 78 deg and it stays there , you do not have to adjust temp. Let me know if the resistor is not the problem.

Jim B

You mean like try it now??? It's kinda late here. I like the way you are thinking though. Yes, If I put the knob to 78 it would remain that temp i think.   What would that imply? A control head-- a separate part from the blower control module?

So look, this is my first time doing this, I obviously owe you! I'll opt for higher price next time now that i know.

THANKS!!!

No not know. I check with you tomorrow. You can give a bonus if you wish.

Let Jim B

cool. i'd accept now but I want to have a line into you. There a way to do that? Again, really appreciate your patience with my lack of familiarity with this site, and autos!

SO i guess i'll be in touch tomorrow and then accept and bonus. hope that's cool with you, Thanks have a great night!
Owen
Sounds good. Time to hit the sack. Jim
dunno if you are online. I disconnected blower and air stopped. I am having trouble getting to the top screw of the blower out, so i think that I have to start removing serious paneling, but that is another matter.

Last question: seems intuitive to me that if you disconnect the blower it would stop blowing. Where else could the air come from if it was disconnected? Could you please explain that? Thanks-- This was all very helpful, I just want to understand why I am about to buy a part that doesn't function when disconnected. Isn't that like a lamp not working when it's unplugged?

Many Thanks
Owen
Need to disconnect the power stage module not the blower motor. . The diag shows the connection facing you not under. You may have to remove the glove box to get to it. Not sure but I think that was noted. Jim
I unplugged the part number you quoted above 30864189

That is the power stage. It is bad if the blower runs when the blower switch is the 0 position. Install new unit. It is shorted internally.

Jim

Jim B
Jim B, ASE Certified Technician
What you are saying is that if I disconnect that part and the air stops blowing, what I need to do is replace that part. Nothing else? Then I will be able to adjust the AC/air using the switch with AUT, 0, 1,2,3,4,5?

Is it possible it is more complicated?

That is the fix according to the bulletin . I have been doing this for years so anything is possible you may have more than one problem. But in your case that is where you must start. If you are not really sure then I suggest you take it to your repair shop.

Sympton

2. Disconnect the connector. If the blower motor stops running, the blower control module is bad
.

Jim B
Jim B
Jim B, ASE Certified Technician