Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Intermittent problem with faulty starter inhibitor switch on

Customer Question
1995 960 CD Auto Estate...
Intermittent problem with faulty starter inhibitor switch on 1995 960 CD Auto Estate. Usually sorts itself after waiting, but not today. Any quick fixes?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Volvo
11/23/2008
Volvo Mechanic: Michael, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Michael
Michael, ASE Certified Technician
My first suspect would be the starter.
There is a small wire that goes to the starter that gets corroded. You can unplug this a few times. This will clean the connection some.

If you are getting proper power to the starter you can try to hit it while somebody else tries to start the engine.

The ignition switch is also a high possibility. The contacts get burned with age.

No - definitely NOT starter motor or ignition switch.

Managed to start car by "almost" move gear selector out of park. Surely this would suggest that it is a faulty start inhibitor as I originally suspected or the actual gear selector mechanism?

Hello again,

I spent some time to collect this information for you.
I belive you should find it useful to fixing your problem.

Here are the wiring diagrams for your starting problem.

I am not sure what you mean by "almost starting when you move the shifter out of park"
If you mean it starts to crank but stops this could indicate a faulty PNP switch.
This is located on the side of the transmission.

If this is caused by your alarm, as you belive you can bypass it.

Jump between B:1 and B:5 on alarm relay 2/28.
You could also try and jump the starter relay 2/35.

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

I did not claim that the car was "almost starting when you move the shifter out of park".

What I clearly stated was that I managed to start the car by "almost" moving the gear selector out of the "Park" position (i.e. depressing the gear selector switch and slightly moving it)

I will have a look at the wirng diagrams but I am not hopeful.

Thanks for trying anyway.

Hello again,

"I managed to start the car by "almost" moving the gear selector out of the "Park" position"
This is a symptom of the PNP switch.
You can try to adjust it slightly first. If it still acts up the same way I would replace it.

I gathered everything related to the starting of the car.
Finding the break in the circuit is what you are trying to do. If you follow the wiring diagram I am sure you find the problem.

I have already done the needed research for your problem.
Michael
Michael
Michael, ASE Certified Technician