Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech, Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs volvo technician, Ase A1-A8, L1, A/C certified
12611739

99 volvo v70: rear hatch is stuck in valet lockout mode..owners manual

I have a 99 volvo v70 XC. I believe the rear hatch is stuck in valet lockout mode. I read the owners manual and it said to turn the lock to the horizontal position to allow for access. The problem is it happens to have now place to inset the key in the rear. I looked behind the little flip down and there is a black plug where you would expect the lock mechanism to be. The carpet on the rear hatch also covered the child lock. This is a model without a third row seat. Please help. I need a way to lock and unlock this with out having to climb into the back of the car.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike, volvo Tech replied 8 years ago.
If you climb in the back and unlock it with the knob can you open it with the latch? I have seen alot of wiring harness break causing the lock not to work. Also the latches go bad not allowing you to open the tailgate.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes. The knob functions just fine. Infact if you raise the tailgate and try the any of the lock buttons the rear hatch lock responds. Once you lower the hatch i would say below 90 degrees it stops responding to any of the automatic lock sources. This leads me to believe that the actuator, switches and wiring are more than likely intact. unless of course there is a short being cause by lowering the tailgate a certain distance.... I guess that makes a little since to me, or perhaps damage to some of the wiring is creating a short by putting tension on a wire when lowering the tailgate...

The wire(s) for the lock are broken in the harness and the best fix is to replace the harness. they could probably be fix as a temp fix. but suggest the harness. the harness starts at rear panel behind the left taillight and goes into the tailgate. most dealers I suspect should have one in stock. we stock the harness due to the frequency of replacing them.