Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have 2000 volvo s40, check engine light on, codes came up

Customer Question
for idle air valve and...
I have 2000 volvo s40, check engine light on, codes came up for idle air valve and egr. The volvo delaership said this model does not have egr system. My mechanic replaced the idle air valve but car still not starting. Only way you can drive the car is if you turn on and quickly give gas, keeping the needle about the 2 rpm, if you let off the gas, the car goes dead. Any suggestions what the egr code is, as volvo dealership suggested may mean something else in "volvo" own set up check engine codes
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Volvo
10/9/2008
Volvo Mechanic: ttiger79, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
ttiger79
ttiger79, ASE Certified Technician
Hi!
What are the code numbers that the mechanic has pulled from the computer?

P0420

P0505

P1446

P0245

P0445

P0031

P0037

P0107

P0341

P0445

P0031

P0037

Wow!!

Well, none of the codes that you have indicated here are related to the EGR system at all. However, with these codes, your car will not start! Did they provide you with an explaination of these codes?

No they didn't. Can you suggest what to fix next, all those codes point to emissions, etc. I am a female and have no idea, what directiion should I take?

Sure!
I would highly recommend having the shop check the harness and the computer itself. All the codes that you have here all point to low signals from the various sensors on the motor. I'll list what the codes mean for you. They will need to look for a break in the harness, a bad ground, or a computer that is failing. Here's what the codes all mean:

P0420: Catalyst inefficient/ faulty oxygen sensor signal
P0505: Idle air control valve no signal
P1446: Leak detection pump low or no signal
P0245: Turbocharger control valve signal low
P0031: Front oxygen sensor preheating signal too low
P0037: Rear oxygen sensor preheating signal too low
P0107: Boost pressure sensor signal too low
P0341: Camshaft position sensor faulty signal
P0445: Canister purge valve signal too low

All these things point to a faulty harness- either broken or shorted, a missing common ground, or a bad computer. There's no possible way that all these things went bad all at once. The idle air control valve and camshaft position sensor codes are the ones keeping the motor from running. Have the mechanic start with these. Have him trace the signal wires from both of these to the computer and see if they are broken or shorted. They will most likely find this to be the case.

Let me know what they find!
ttiger79
ttiger79, ASE Certified Technician
Hi!
Another expert has mentioned for you to have the mechanics check the 10amp fuse number 21 in the fuse block under the hood. He mentioned that it is possible that the PCV heater has shorted, causing this fuse to blow. This is something that he has seen before, and it's just another thing for you to check out.

Good luck!

I called the volvo dealership and they said there is no such thing as the pcv heater. I checked the fuse 21 and that was correct it was blown. The thing is we replaced right away and as soon as I turned on the car, it blew again. Any suggestions to resolve the issue. Right now the mechanic has my idled turned up, it appears, don't know really what he did, but the car is running. When I first turn it on if it has been sitting like first thing in the morning, I have to give it gas, run for about 30 seconds then it is fine to drive, not shutting off. But the check engine light is still on.

Volvo dealership says that only a pcv valve and that could not be the cause of the short in the fuse. I know you can't give me a definitive answer, but based on the information I provided, any expertise info, would really appreciate, before pouring unecessary money into my car.

Volvo Mechanic: Mike, volvo Tech, Technician replied 9 years ago
Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech, Technician
Its not a pcv valve it is a pre heater and it is in the airintake tube going from the air mass meter to the turbo intake. down towards the bottom of the hose, has a 2 wire connector on it and should have a aprox. 1/2" dia. hose connected also. unplug that connector, replace the fuse and tuen the key on. I will get you a part number.

The part number for the pcv heater is 30670269 and list's for aprox. $64.

If I helped please ACCEPT my answer, bonuses and positive feedback are always appreciated.

Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech, Technician

Ok, I called the volvo dealership said they have part 30670269, but has not been ordered by anyone for 2 years, and to order the part 30644343, the fresh air hose. Can you please tell me which one to get?

if the pcv pre heater comes with the hose I would order the hose. not sure of the price difference on the hose of the pre heater. but hose will be easiest to replace.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. thanks Mike

Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech, Technician