How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, Camera and Video Technician
Category: Camera and Video
Satisfied Customers: 1708
Experience:  25+ years experience as a camera and video technician.
Type Your Camera and Video Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an old Sony CCD FX-710 cam corder and I want to transfer

Customer Question

I have an old Sony CCD FX-710 cam corder and I want to transfer the tapes to my Mac. I have the necessary cables, software, etc to do that BUT when I try and PLAY a tape in the old camcorder, I just get a flickering black/white image thru the viewfinder, but I do see the tape moving/counting. I've run the OLD "cleaner" cartridge, but no improvement. What do you think?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Camera and Video
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** own a small camera repair business and am a technician with over 25 years in the business. I'll be glad to help you.
The problem with older camcorders is in the components used in their construction. These were built using Electrolytic Capacitors that have leaked over time and contaminated the circuit boards. The only cure is to remove every capacitor, scrub the circuit board and solder on new capacitors. This is not a viable repair. You may want to consider a service to transfer your tapes to DVD or, if you have an abundance of tapes, pick up a good, used Sony DCR-TRV350 on EBay. These will play-back the analog tapes in a digital format that transfers easily to DVD or computer.