Seizures. Golden retrieve 6 y/o healthy may have injested diluted PRIME FISH tank conditioner, not sure. 2 sx About 20

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Seizures
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Golden retrieve 6 y/o healthy may have injested diluted PRIME FISH tank conditioner, not sure
JA: I know how frightening seizures can be. Were you able to get a sense of how long the episode lasted?
Customer: 2 sx About 20 min with a break between excessive drooling body stiffening trembling, 2nd was worse eyes rolling and excessive flailing
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They are over for now he seems normal except panting
Answered by Dr. Michael Salkin in 4 mins 2 months ago
imglogo
48+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Customer
Are you seeing the info ?
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.
Customer
Ok

The active ingredient in that product is hydrosulfite and large doses can cause seizures. I can't see when you initially posted. May I have an update on your dog, please?

Regardless of the cause, your golden has clustered - more than one seizure in a 24 hour period and clustering can presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer
On the way to er vet. Thank you for responding though

That's smart. If you need clarification on anything I've posted or have additional questions or concerns after his vet visit, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope I were able to answer your question satisfactorily. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish: Dr. Michael Salkin.

My best to your golden!

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer. It was my pleasure assisting you.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
48+ years of experience
img
imglogo
48+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.