We have a gerbil that was sneezing/coughing blood this morning and had labored breathing. Just now. Blanco 9 months. Not

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a gerbil that was sneezing/coughing blood this morning and had labored breathing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this strange breathing happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: Just now
JA: And what's the gerbil's name and age?
Customer: Blanco 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of
Answered by DrNickiDVM in 18 mins 12 months ago
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** and I'm an emergency veterinarian. I'm here to provide you with excellent service. Kindly allow me a moment to review your question.

Thank you for your patience! I’m very sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues, but I appreciate you reaching out to us for assistance. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly. I’m so sorry Blanco is not well. You must be so worried. I have a few questions I will ask below that will help me to understand what could be going on with him.

• How long has he been sick, did it all start this morning?
  • How long has his breathing been labored?
  • How is his energy level?
  • Does he live with other gerbils, or alone?

Please be aware I am a licensed veterinarian, but I am not your pet’s veterinarian and cannot examine your pet, so I cannot legally provide you with any specific veterinary medical advice such as diagnosis or prescribing medication. However, I can generally speak to help you understand resources that may help you and advise you to seek medical attention.

Without the information I requested, I can only give you a general answer. I hope this helps. It sounds like Blanco is quite sick. I'm so sorry about that. Labored breathing and fast breathing can rapidly progress to a life-threatening situation. Whether it's pneumonia or trauma or even heart failure, it's very serious when you see that in these little guys. I strongly recommend proceeding to the nearest emergency veterinarian for evaluation. The ER will be able to listen to Blanco's heart and lungs and perform diagnostics such as chest x-rays to ensure there isn't a serious medical issue such as pneumonia or heart problems going on that could be causing the difficulty breathing. He may need oxygen. If he is not back to normal, I would highly recommend a vet visit ASAP today, even if it's an emergency hospital. I am happy to discuss him further if you would like. I am available if you have any follow up questions, so please reply here and I'll be happy to assist you!

Just checking in as I did not hear back. I hope you are able to get a diagnosis and that Blanco is doing better with treatment. I sure wish you both all the best and I am available if you have follow-up questions so do not hesitate. Thanks for using our service.

Dr. Nicki

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DrNickiDVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.