Potential mange issue, She is a husband German Sheppard mix breed, No I have not. And I've had her coned for gosh like

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Potential mange issue
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She is a husband German Sheppard mix breed
JA: Have you spoken to a vet about mange yet? How long has this been going on with the animal?
Customer: No I have not. And I've had her coned for gosh like 10 days or so
JA: And what's the animal's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** *****'s roughly 6 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Ummm I do not believe so
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry Rory is so itchy.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-You may be automatically prompted to consider a phone consultation for an additional fee. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide phone consultations. If you would like to continue the chat, just hit decline. If you would like a phone consultation, let me know and I will disconnect so you can speak with another Expert.

-I will do my best to respond to you as quickly as possible. Sometimes, my response may be delayed if I am helping other customers as well. I assure you that I will get back to you as soon as possible to answer all of your questions.

I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible

Customer
Sure ask away

-Has Rory had issues with itching in the past?

Customer
but nothing like this

-Is Rory losing hair?

-Is there any scabbing or crusting of the skin?

Customer
she's chewing it right off I'd given the chance. And definitely stabbing and crusting as she is chewing raw

-Can you send a picture of what is happening to her skin?

Customer
one moment
Customer
Customer attachment 10/25/2021 10:22:54 PM

Poor baby. Is this all over her body?

Customer
In particular just what you see. And also a perhaps 3inches by 1 inch patch on the other side where it started but is healing up nicely, but certainly has a little ways to go. And I feel like she is whining her sweet little high pitched "dad help me" whine and it's breaking my heart as I feel as though I have tried everything I can think of at home to help her

-So there is a patch on the other side that is healing?

Customer
However if given the chance I think she would dig right back into it

-It she had mites (mange) it would not be likely the area would heal up even if she was not chewing at it, since the mites destroy the hair.

Customer
Hold up. I'll send you a picture of it in just a moment so you can get a feel for it through that

-Severe conditions can cause the skin changes you are seeing.

-Allergies can occur to food or substances in the environment. Dogs can develop allergies to food even if they have been on the food for months to years. Typically, it is the protein in the food they are allergic to. Itching and scabbing will typically occur year-round with food allergies. Feeding a prescription hypoallergenic diet for 12 weeks can help to determine if food allergies are present. Over-the-counter limited ingredient or skin support diets are not likely to be helpful as there is a lot of cross-contamination that has been proven to occur with these diets.

-Environmental allergies, to pollen and dust mites, are also common. These tend to get worse in certain seasons. Sometimes, they may not change if the allergen is always in the environment. Generally, these allergies are diagnosed by the response to treatment. Steroids may also be helpful to decrease itching, but can have some serious side effects like thinning of the skin, elevated liver value, increased drinking, increased urination, panting, and hunger. Steroids, Apoquel, Cytopoint, and hyposensitization shots are all possible treatments for allergies.

-Environmental allergies can be helped dramatically with twice-weekly bathing in an oatmeal shampoo. Wet the fur with lukewarm water, lather well, allow the shampoo to stay on the fur for 5-10 minutes. Rinse the fur very thoroughly to be sure all soap is removed.

-Fleas can cause itching and scratching. Dogs can be allergic to flea bites, so it may not take very many to cause severe itching. It is best to be sure you are using a flea treatment that kills the adult, egg, and larval stages of the flea even if you are not seeing fleas.

-Skin mites can cause very intense itching. A skin scraping is needed to find the mites. Some types of mites can be very difficult to find, so your veterinarian may recommend treating mites even if they are not able to find the little critters.

-Fungal and bacterial infections of the skin can also occur. Bacterial infections can be diagnosed by getting an impression of the area and looking at it under the microscope. Fungal infections require a special culture of the fur.

-It is not possible to say which of the causes, or possibly other causes, is what is bothering Rory.

-I would recommend that you apply a flea medication as described above. Make sure that the flea medication is labeled to kill all life stages. Only use flea medications labeled for dogs of her size, and age. Bathe her twice a week as described above. Make sure to wait at least 3 days after applying flea medication to bathe. You can also try antihistamines, although they are only effective in about 25% of allergy cases. Typically, I start with Benadryl. This can be dosed at 1mg/lb (5mg for her size) three times daily.

-Adding fish oil or omega fatty acids to her diet may help as well.

-If the itching is not improving within 3-5 days, I would recommend that you have her evaluated by his veterinarian to see if other treatments may be helpful.

Customer
I've changed her to grain free food. Have been giving anhistamines apply various relief sprays and creams
Customer
But yes if you don't mind I will send you a picture of the other side here in 5 mins when I get back home

-Oh, please please do not use a grain-free diet.

-90% of dogs are allergic to the protein source in their diet. Grain-free diets have been associated with the development of heart disease even in breeds that do not commonly develop heart disease. Restarting a grain diet improves heart function. It is not known why this occurs, but I DO NOT recommend grain-free diets unless the dog has a proven allergy to a grain source.

Do you have any questions?

Customer
Customer attachment 10/25/2021 10:46:03 PM

-It doesn't look like the hair is regrowing in the area, is it?

Customer
Sure is not

-If that is the case, mites are still possible, since it is not really healing.

-I think you should make an appointment with the veterinarian as soon as poosible.

Do you have any questions?

I hope the information was helpful and the Rory is more comfortable soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I hope that Rory is feeling better. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Customer
My vet is booked up and still trying to figure out an appointment time while chatting with them to fill them in. After I last spoke with you, I gave roey 3 benedryll as she's roughly 90 lbs. I trimmed her nails, brushed her teeth. Beished her fur where she wasn't having skin irritations. Gave her one hell of a good bath. And after I rinsed her shampoo off, I poured apple cider vinegar (also used a cotton ball with some to clean out the onside of her floppyish ears) on her from her neck down and gently rubbed it into her skin and fur prior to doing some towel drying. Then I applied 5 percent permethrin cream all over lightly and a little heavier in the problem areas. I washed her collar and cone with soap and apple cider vinegar. And also her bedding, and did up a spray bottle with half water half apple cider vinegar and also promethrin and shook it up. Sprayed myself with it, interior of my car. My carpets, any furniture rugs....and so on. And also lightly using that spray on her troubled spots, which has to burn I would think, but I honestly feel as though I'm getting rapid and incredible response
Customer
Today is the first time I've seen her play as her usual old self, and she also has been eating as if it were the last supper, which she hadn't been doing so well with the irritation

-I'm so glad she is feeling better. Make sure the permethrin spray permethrin cream is labeled for use on people and dogs if you are applying it to her and yourself.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.