My cracker parrots flu into a wax burner and burned his foot. I just put his feet in water oh, it's only one of his feet

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cracker parrots flu into a wax burner and burned his foot
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did this happen? Have you used anything to treat the burn so far?
Customer: I just put his feet in water oh, it's only one of his feet that are bothering him and now he just lifts it
JA: And what's the parrot's name and age?
Customer: What can relieve pain or a slightly blistered foot
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No just what do I do
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry your parrot burned his foot.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-You may be automatically prompted to consider a phone consultation for an additional fee. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide phone consultations. If you would like to continue the chat, just hit decline. If you would like a phone consultation, let me know and I will disconnect so you can speak with another Expert.

-I will do my best to respond to you as quickly as possible. Sometimes, my response may be delayed if I am helping other customers as well. I assure you that I will get back to you as soon as possible to answer all of your questions.

I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible

Customer
I just want some advice as far as my bird flying into a wax burner
Customer
He seems to be doing okay

-Are there any obvious wounds on his feet?

-What is his name?

Customer
This is rip off isn't it
Customer
Can someone actually answer me
Customer
That seems like a setup

-I'm sorry? I am a veterinarian that is trying to give you assistance on what you can do yo help your birds feet.

-I am asking questions to help me better understand what your bird may need.

Customer
I continue to get a live phone call with the amount of $28
Customer
It seems like his feet are a little blistered and he's favoring one foot and lifting it then lifting the other
Customer
His name is Oscar
Customer
He has a quaker parrot and about 2 years old
Customer
He still is he and treats but he seems like he is self-soothing right now and trying to rest. Still standing on one foot
Customer
Hello?

Yes, I mentioned in the introduction that the system will automatically offer you the option to speak with a veterinarian live for an additional charge. You are under mo obligation to accept the call, but are certainly welcome to do so.

-Did he land in melted hot wax?

Customer
I called Poison Control and I already got charged $75. I was told just to keep an eye on him and make sure he is having normal bowel movements. To make sure it's not getting worse. His little feet are just bothering him
Customer
I can flip him over and take a picture. I just want to make sure he's going to be okay but I cannot keep on paying for consultations over the phone. There is no emergency that's around that can take an exotic pet. I honestly just think he is in some discomfort but nothing life-threatening. I was hoping to hear a similar story and what the outcome was
Customer
I don't think that there's much anybody can do from the research that I did

-I am just trying to clarify the situation, so will be asking a few questions. It would be helpful if you can answer those so I can be sure I understand his condition fully.

-Did he land in melted hot wax?

Customer
he landed in melted hot wax

-Do you know if his feet were completely covered by the wax?

Customer
No they were not completely covered, he flew away pretty quickly. He has little bits of hard and wax and he took it off himself. The only reason I know his feet are bothering him is because he has one tucked in as he is standing on the other

-If you could send a picture, it would be helpful to determine the best care.

Customer
just let me grab him real quick
Customer
File attached (ZQLL23G)

-I know it can be difficult, because animals do not cooperate well, but is there any way you can take picture of each foot with the toes spread so I can see the bottom well?

Customer
I'm going to try

-The doesn't seem too bad right now, but burns can take a few days to really show how bad they will be.

-Make sure to clean her feet with warm, soapy water to get any remaining wax off.

-You can use a small amount of topical antibiotic, like Neosporin, on the blisters three times daily. Make sure it does not contain a topical pain reliever as this can be toxic to birds.

-If she is more painful, the wounds are open or she develops redness, swelling or discharge, she should see a veterinarian.

Do you have any questions?

Customer
File attached (6ZZZP6S)
Customer
What kind of soap is safe to use on a bird's foot
Customer
I was told not to use any human products on a bird but Neosporin is okay to use?
Customer
File attached (24ZVP24)

-Not that one - see how it says pain relief...you want one that does not contain any pain reliever.

Customer
Can I use Dawn dish soap to wash the feet? Then I can go to the store and get Neosporin but does not have the pain relief in it
Customer
Is it okay to use Dawn dish soap

-Yes, dawn is okay to use. Just be sure to rinse it off completely.

I hope the information was helpful and your baby will feel better soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

Customer
Is it normal for a bird to want to rest if he is in pain? He normally doesn't sleep right now and he seems like he just wants to rest. Should I worry about that

-It is normal for them to be quieter than normal. If you are able to rouse him and he becomes active, I would just let him rest. If he is very lethargic, won't eat, or has worsening wounds, he should be rechecked immediately.

Customer
How do I know if he is lethargic. What would I look for? Also how do you check a temperature for a bird

-I would not try to check his temperature, it is stressful. They also have a much higher temperature than mammals, so it is hard to determine if that means much when they are stressed and it is elevated.

-Lethargic basically means overly quiet or depressed, less responsive.

Customer
Your description of lethargic kind of seems like what he's doing right now

Are you able to wake him up and stimulate him to be more active?

Customer
I got him to step over to me... He is enjoying some pets but just seems tired. I would imagine because he stressed out and I did as well

-I'm sure. Is he fluffed up or droopy at all?

Customer
He is fluffed up
Customer
He is now back in his cage eating but still fluffed up

-A little fluffed or really poofy?

Customer
Definitely more f***** up than usual
Customer
Fluffed* up than usual

-If you feel that he is more than a little tired and that he is significantly fluffed up (which can mean they aren't feeling well), it would be best to have him examined as soon as possible.

-He is probably just stressed from the whole situation, but since I can not see him to examine him, it would be better safe than sorry.

Customer
File attached (3M22PZ1)
Customer
Right..okay thank you

-Yeah he seems pretty fluffed up - maybe more than just a little stress. He might be painful. Sadly, there is nothing over the counter that can be used to help with pain for birds.

I hope the information was helpful he will feel better soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I hope his feet are feeling better today. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Customer
He is still holding one up.. I have not put any Neosporin on the bottom of his feet. I'm nervous if he ingested. Are you sure that a bird can have that kind of ointment on him? Would he get sick if he ingested which is impossible to avoid

-He would not get sick if you use a small amount twice a day and are certain it does not have any pain reliever.

Customer
I am about to walk into Petco to see if there's anything specifically for Birds

-Antibiotic ointment for birds and people are the same.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.