My puppy is having watery diarrhea. Yesterday, and no he’s been eating puppy food and water. Oso. He is 6weeks old as

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My puppy is having watery diarrhea.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the diarrhea start? Could the puppy have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: Yesterday, and no he’s been eating puppy food and water.
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Oso
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: he is 6weeks old as well. And he’s been active as usual I’m just a little concerned.
Answered by Dr. Peter in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Peter
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****; I am sorry you have this problem with Oso; I am sure you are concerned. I will do my best to help you today. But, first, I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

How long has this been going on?

What are you feeding Oso?

What breed is Oso?

Customer
Since yesterday, he has been eating just puppy food. I’ve also notice a couple of times he’s eaten his own poop. He is pitbull mixed with husky.

Any vomiting?

Is he lethargic?

Any other symptoms?

Customer
What is lethargic? And no vomiting.
Customer
No other symptoms either.

Lethargic means without energy.

Customer
No he’s been active like normal.
Customer
Can I send you a picture?
Customer
Of his poop.

You can download the picture on this chat.

Customer
Here are the pictures

Thank you for the pictures. Please give me a moment to type your answer.

Many different medical conditions can cause diarrhea. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, in a puppy, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, infections, etc., to name a few causes. Unfortunately, you are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home; I am sorry. I recommend having Oso seen by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination and fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- Change his diet to boiled rice (75%) mixed with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular puppy diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

Customer
I have set an appt. with our vet here on Monday. Will he be okay until Monday? He won’t pass away on us right?

As long as he is eating, drinking, not lethargic or vomiting he should be okay.

Customer
Okay thank you so much.

You're so welcome. :)

Good afternoon. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow-up questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to assist you.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Peter
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Peter
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.