Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

He has a dark lump under his skin on his back its been there…

He has a dark...

He has a dark lump under his skin on his back its been there for a while but ive just noticed it looks dark

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Chihuahua

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Hhe is 9 yrs old his name is buster

6/22/2018
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Hi there! I m Dr. Emily, a veterinarian of 21 years. I would be happy to try and help with Buster. Can I ask some questions?

Thank you. You say its been there for awhile, are we thinking days, weeks or months? How big is the lump?

Does it feel soft or hard?

Has he ever had a lump like this before?

Would you be able to post a picture?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Its hard and its about the size of a nikle
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I will try to get a picture

ok. There are several lumps that dogs develop as they age, the majority of them are benign (not cancerous). The most common form of skin cancer in dogs is a lump called a mast cell tumor. They are usually just locally invasive and have a low chance of metastasis (spreading).

Does it look like it has any holes in it?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No did u see the pictures
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Its been there for a couple yrs
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Its not got any bigger

Yes, I saw the pictures, just couldn't see detail. The most common lump it could be would be a sebaceous cyst, which is sort of like a large pimple. Sebaceous cysts are benign in nature.

To know for sure, a fine needle aspirate could be performed. This is where a needle is inserted into the lump and aspirated, hopefully drawing out cells that can be examined under a microscope. This can be done at a routine veterinary visit, it doesn't hurt the animal.

Sebaceous cysts are typically a "wait and see approach", meaning if it is not bothering the pet, doesn't appear to be growing or producing any oozing and discharge, you can let it be.

If any of the above does happen it can be surgically removed.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok. Its been there at least a couple years if not more its never got any bigger and it doesnt bother him at all so ill just wait n see the next time he goes to vet i will have them look at it thank u

You are very welcome. I wish you and Buster the best of luck! If you have been satisfied with my assistance, your 5 star rating at this time would be greatly appreciated. If you have any further questions or concerns, even after rating me, please don't hesitate to reach out again on this same thread. :)

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian