Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

She had a tick on her mouth that was removed and now has…

Customer Question
She had a tick...

She had a tick on her mouth that was removed and now has discharged from her eye which is swollen and trying to close

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Pitbull

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Pitbull's name and age?

Chadow and 13 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chadow?

Her eye is covered from the discharge and grey looking

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2018
Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 19 days ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello! As a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you!

I am concerned about this eye and these signs could be indicative of a few things:

The most like reason the eye has this appearance and has discharge is a corneal ulcer or injury, something that occurs with the front part of the eye. This can cause pain, squinting, swelling, discharge, and coloration changes to the cornea (the front part of the eye that is typically clear). These can become infected, sometimes badly so, and cause pain, so we put these dogs on eye medications to help the cornea heal.

Another possibility, which would be more serious and urgent, is glaucoma. This occurs when the pressure inside the eye increases causing severe pain and damage to the structures within the eye. Because of the severe pain and the risk of irreversible damage to vision, this is considered a true emergency. Though I would consider this less likely in a dog of her age, assuming she has not had other issues in the eye previously, the possibility of this still means it is best to have her seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.

I suspect the eye is unrelated to the tick, however, if the swelling extends from where the tick bite was and to the eye, this could be an allergic reaction to the tick bite. Alternatively, ticks can carry a variety of diseases that can cause illness. These illnesses can include something called "uveitis," which is inflammation inside the eye. This is a potentially serious condition that can cause pain, predispose to glaucoma, and result in vision loss, but it is treatable.

Since there are some potentially very serious causes of the signs you note and treatable conditions, I strongly recommend you get Chadow to a veterinarian as soon as possible. They will be able to do an examination of the eye to determine what is going on, and then prescribe the most appropriate treatment.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you for your question. Once you are happy with my answer, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 16 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Dr.Drea
Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 5 days ago

Hello! I am just checking in to see how things are going

Thank you for your question! Please let me know if you need further guidance. Please remember to rate my answer as this is the only way I receive credit for my time. Thank you!