Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My pet may had exposure to any poison

My pet may had exposure to any poison
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
5/17/2018
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

An offer for a phone consultation usually will come up a few minutes after starting the chat, please note that it is not from me, it is automatically generated by the site. I am not always able to do phone consultations, but I can always continue chatting with you here.

Is this a dog or a cat that may have been exposed? And do you mean ant poison/bait? Do you know the brand name or active ingredient?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe it was spray from the pest control man. I was at work and after he went outside to use the bathroom he kind of coughed up a little bit of mucous. What concerns me is he had like head shakes. About 3 times but it only lasted about 10 sec
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has a bad habit of licking the grass
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As well

Ok so sounds like a dog that may have been exposed? Do you know about how big he is? Has he eaten since you have come home?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he ate a little and he’s about 60 lbs

Any difficulty walking or getting around? What is his name?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No he seems to be getting around fine. And it’s Roscoe!

Great, thanks for that info.

It would be easier if we could ask Roscoe exactly how he is feeling/what he is experiencing, but that is good that he has eaten some and no difficulty walking. Any changes to his breathing or does that seem about the same as his usual?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Breathing sounds normal.

Chemicals or no chemicals, grass can potentially cause some temporary throat irritation and may relate to him sort of coughing/trying to clear his throat.

Can't say for sure if the head shaking (tremor?) is related, but will all the other things sounding pretty normal, it doesn't sound like something that requires an ER trip tonight.

Do you have the ability to take short videos, like on a cell phone?

If you will be up for a bit and can have your phone handy, it could be helpful to get even a few seconds of that head shaking if he happens to do it again tonight. If you are continuing to see it off and on, that could be very helpful to show your vet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh okay will do as of right now he seems fine. He’s lethargic ready for bed but that’s normal around this time. Also, is it okay for him to go back into the yard tomorrow?

Hard to say if any of this is related to the outdoor things, but if he is staying in the rest of the evening (or just a quick trip outside and likely grass is dry), it would be unlikely to have ongoing issues. Yard tomorrow should be fine. If anything seems off tomorrow, would not be overly cautious to at least touch base with your regular vet - but it sounds like it would be ok to just watch him for tonight.

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you

You're very welcome - if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask-

If anything seems to be worsening with your pet’s condition, especially any breathing difficulty, it is never overly cautious to seek medical attention at an emergency hospital, check for closest to you at vetlocator.com .

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Thanks for the great rating - hopefully Roscoe will be back to his usual self with some rest tonight :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth