Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Try to keep this short. Rescued a male mix in NYC - Found on…

Ok. Try to keep...

Ok. Try to keep this short. Rescued a male mix in NYC - Found on the streets of Queens- dewormed 4-6 times for round worms- tape worms-every worm I have heard of including Lung Worms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Sorry male cat -

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

My concerns are as follows

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

His poop still is on the soft side - smells very bad- that has gotten better but not normal-

Answered in 1 hour by:
4/6/2018
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Veterinarian

Hi, my names Tom, I'm a vet and hopefully will be able to help. First off did he pass any worms did you see, after you wormed him? Soft faeces can be caused by a lot of issues. If they are fit and well otherwise (very important to say that - if a case becomes unwell they needs to see a vet asap)I would initially usually look at diet if parasites have definitely been taken care of (depends on the active ingredient of the wormer as to how effective it is). Getting a cat onto a really good quality diet can be all that is needed sometimes, it can take a few weeks for this to take effect though. With good quality cat food you generally get what you pay for so I would in the short to medium term at least go for a more premium brand. You don't need to feed wet food, I generally say it is better to spend more on really good quality dry food than combining dry and wet which is expensive.

If the diet change doesn't work then my diagnostic work up for a chronic softer faeces cat would be:

send faecal sample off

blood tests to rule out internal problems and also to look and see if there are any absorption problems with the intestines (folate b12 blood tests), tli, fpli also.

if these all clear then I would probably put use a true hypoallergenic diet - these are usually prescription diets ( in the uk where I am based anyway)

if this failed then further diagnostics are warranted - ultrasound +- endoscopy and biopsy +- surgical biopsy - it's rare we would end up at this point to be honest but some cases can be tricky and it can be good sometimes getting a definitive diagnosis.

Softer faeces can be caused by a lot of different things, it isn't a very specific symptom so there can be a lot of diagnostics involved to get an answer. This is why initially I go along the parasite and diet route as it's simpler and most of the time works. Sometimes I also add in probiotics and prebiotics to these cases and some seem to respond.

Hope that helps, any other questions please get back to me.

Thanks, Tom

Thank you Dr. Tom:)He has been seen at 3 vets and has had much follow-up - but the only response I got now is to switch out food ?
He also - and I told them this seems to have a wheezing - breathing issue - I have had cats all my life and so have some concerns-
They told me to put him on Wellness 3oz twin a day a with a probitoic and 1/4 cup dry a day - also Wellness
He is very food crazy!! And I cannot even imagine what he ingested the 3 months or more he was on the streets or longer.They said he probably has a little asthma - and would not need to treat it -Can lung worms go to the heart??I have all kinds of concerns - but I think he is now 9 months old and happy - plays - eats well - its just this awful poop -So I think what you stated is very sound advice.But does he need further fecal testing - It has been done at least 6 times or more?/So if I understand - you think fecal test should continue - last one done - this week- no worms - lung worms gone with treatment for 14 days - can they come back - could they have damaged his lungs because he must have had these all the time and I just found out by doing a special test -
O.K. then can he please answer more questions?
Talking would have been easier - he has had alot of intervention and I wanted to detail that and ask him more questions?
Hi Dr. Tom?Did you get my response?
He has been on Profender for rounds worms-
Panacur liquid - just got results for lung worms - two weeks - clear as of today Revolution 2 rounds for Giardia - tapeworms - Dontrol - hookworms -
No none has done a blood test yet?
Should I suggests it?
All of this testing was while he was being fostered in NY -
I only did the Profender and Panacur Liquid for two weeks-
Changed his food
Added in the probiotic- by : Pro Plan Veterinary RX - Fortifllora - i pack a day to wet food -
He likes Greenies Dental Treats - he has been getting those since they had him - 4 a day
And other treat is the organic chicken treats few a day - high protein
Dr. Tom :)) Please are you there? I have to get to work ? And I just paid three times!!
What can I do about that?

Hi, sorry I don't do the calls. I'm happy to opt out if you want one of the vets to call you. No problem if not, I'll reply below. It might be a little sporadic my answers as I'm actually working so might be a few minutes in between them.

Hi, just saw the paid 3 times bit, I don't have anything to do with the paying bit so you would have to contact customer services, don't worry they will be able to help.

No O.K. np - No I want you - I just thought I lost you and would have to start all over:((((O.K, well as long as you got all of my info and responses we are goo!Answer when you can - I need to leave-to get to work - so whenever - O.K.I wrote alot

ok no problem, got all your answers so I'll reply. Thanks

Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Veterinarian