Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

About a month and a half ago, I got a year old hedgehog. he…

About a month and...

About a month and a half ago, I got a year old hedgehog. he showed no signs of illness and I didn't change his diet in comparison to how his previous owner fed him. Since I've had him, he has pooped what looks like neon green jello, twice. I called a local exotic pet hospital and they recommended bringing him in for a check up. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the hedgehog's name?

Maurice!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maurice?

I take him outside a couple times a day and let him do his business and explore. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary.

3/27/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

The most common cause for green stool in a hedgehog is intestinal parasites/infection especially coccidiosis or Colibacilosis. If Maurice is eating& acting well, & there is no vomiting, then I would recommend taking a fresh stool sample over to the hospital for analysis. If nothing is found, they may empirically deworm him, but at this point they will probably want to see & examine him. If you can afford a visit now, then that is certainly the best way to go as any other diagnostics can be done to rule out a possible intestinal issue such as colitis.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Okay... Is it safe to wait a few more days until I get paid? How much do those treatments cost?

If Maurice is not having any other issues then you can certainly wait a few days.

Costs are very variable from region to region, so I would not venture to guess what it might cost. If all you do initially is supply a stool sample, it should not run more than $ 20, but if you are in an expensive area, it might pay to call around. Any small animal vet can look at a stool sample, you do not need an exotic hospital for this.

i should have a vet examine the stool sample first?

If funds are tight, yes, but if you can afford a full on examination, then that would be best. But the first thing they will do at any veterinary hospital is set up a fecal exam & look for any intestinal parasites. Then they will examine Maurice & after this comes the more conclusive tests like fecal cultures & blood work. This is where it can get expensive, so you can take things one step at a time.

Well, I read that hedgehogs tend to poop like that under stress, and the two times it has happened, it was either his first time outside, or (the second time was today), it was REALLY windy outside and he was on pavement for the first time. Could it just be stress?
Because he hasent shown any changes in behavior or signs of sickness other than that poop

Yes, it absolutely can be stress, but stress can also cause shedding of intestinal parasites, especially coccidia. Because coccidia is so common in hedgehogs & it can cause people intestinal disease, I think it would still be a good idea to have the stool examined at some point. If he is otherwise acting fine, just don't worry about having an exam done.

I would wait & see if Maurice has another episode of the discolored stool, then just have it looked at.

Okay. Thats a good idea. I agree, because he doesnt act any different at all. If it happens again ill have him checked out. Thank you so much!!!

You are so welcome! I think Maurice will do just fine!

Have a good evening.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian