Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Rabbit of two years in good health has a softish highly

movable elongated mass in right...
Rabbit of two years in good health has a softish highly movable elongated mass in right side. It is not round its is more like a fluid filled pocket in skin under fur and can be felt and moved around and pulled up with loose fur. It is not causibg pain. It seems to move with skin and is not attached to rib cage. Has not grown significantly and vet said just keep an eye on it. Is this reasonable advice. I'd rather not risk an unnecessary operation.
I should say it feels a little more dense inside almost fibrous and softer around. Certainly not firm and in the skin under the fur layer. Just in the area behind his shoulder blade/elbow.
3/24/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

Rabbits do seem to get tumors rather frequently. One paper reported 24 different types of tumor & tumor type lesions in rabbits. These can either be viral-induced tumors or non-viral induced tumors.

Personally, I like to investigate each one & not take a wait & see. I recommend to my clients a chest x-ray to see if metastasis has already occurred & a fine needle aspirate of the suspected area to look for abnormal cells. This can be inconclusive, & an actual biopsy may be needed. In this case, I do recommend removal if there is no evidence of changes in the lung.

Regardless of the species, all lumps & bumps should be investigated thoroughly.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Hi Jen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda