Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I've got a 7 year old German Shepherd-Rott mix male dog who…

Customer Question
Hi I've got a...

Hi I've got a 7 year old German Shepherd-Rott mix male dog who has had symptoms of anemia, salivation, fever, edema. My vet initially thought it was thick fever but we later ruled it out. He then started treating him for an infection with a combination of antibiotics and that helped intially but then he stopped progressing as much as when he had fisrt started. Now with further tests my vet is leaning towards cancer (leukemia) but I suppose it could also be autoimmune disease. So we started him on prednisone last Friday for 7 days. The dosage was five 5mg tablets per day for seven days. My dog is around 40kg although he lost some weight while being sick. My dog has shown alot of improvement since taking the prednisone. Now we are extending the same dosage again from today for another seven days. I want to know if this is safe to extend the dosage to another 7 days. Also does the dosage seem right for his weight? How long can I safely continue giving it to him? Should I be giving him any additional meds? Thanks. Candice.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Cody

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cody?

Not that i can think of at the moment.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Veterinary
3/24/2018
Veterinarian: Rebecca, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Rebecca, Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear that Cody may have leukemia or cancer.

It is hard to know if this is the right treatment, since you do not have a diagnosis yet. It would help for me to see what tests were done and what the results were. If leukemia is suspected, it takes a bone marrow biopsy to get a definite diagnosis.

It is good he is responding to prednisone, and that is the treatment for an autoimmune disease or some types of cancer. If it is cancer, at some point the prednisone will not help. If it is autoimmune disease, he may need an extended course of steroids, or possibly may always need to take them.

Usually we gradually taper the dose of prednisone. If he is taking 25 mg per day, you might see how he does on 20 mg for awhile, then 10. Often the goal is to get down to taking it every other day, but that is not always possible. I would ask your veterinarian about tapering down the dose gradually.

the initial tests that he took when he first got sick showed a low blood count and that he was anaemic and he had a very high eosinophil count. They've later done a blood smear but we have yet to do the biopsy to confirm. Can he safely take the prednisone for the rest of his life though once it's every other day? And would that be on the tapered dose or the intial dosage? Also how soon do you start tapering the dose. He's already been taking it for seven days. Do I start to taper from now or maybe a week from now?

High eosinophil counts can indicate allergy, parasites, or a problem in the bone marrow.

Prednisone can have many side effects if he takes it daily; it affects every organ of the body. It can cause him to pant a lot, gain weight, can cause liver damage, vomiting and diarrhea.

It is hard for me to recommend a course of treatment, when you do not have a diagnosis of his problem. I would either try tapering the dose, under your veterinarian's supervision and directions, or I would do more tests to get a diagnosis.

I did not hear back from you. Please let me know if this is helpful, how he is doing, and if you have other questions.