Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

We have a 2 week old lamb, perfectly healthy until

We have a 2...

We have a 2 week old lamb, perfectly healthy until yesterday. its unable to stand on front legs and if it trys it stumbles..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes no wounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the lamb's name?

Badger(as its a badger faced lamb)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the lamb?

No i dont think so..

3/24/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. This would be about the right time frame for a sepsis to develop. Bacteria can sometimes enter while the umbilicus is healing resulting in sepsis. This is usually treatable with quick access to IV fluids and antibiotics.

I would recommend you call a large animal vet right away and don't wait. Sometimes even a small animal emergency room can see baby lambs and start treatment for sepsis, you will just have to call and ask them if you need to go that route.

Heath Wilkerson
Will do that straight away.. Will it be in pain?

No thankfully it isn't necessarily painful.

You're welcome! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!