Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 4 month old miniature aussiedoodle and he just

I have a 4...

I have a 4 month old miniature aussiedoodle and he just swallowed and entire chicken bone thigh without chewing it. He is acting normal now. I am worried about later

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the entire will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the entire?

That's all for now. Thanks

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks

Friend, as you may already know the concern is that the bone can cause an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bone without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bone out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you for the info. I will try the rice and chicken and hope for the best while looking for obstruction symptoms

Fair enough.

You're welcome. :)

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
have a good evening. Thanks

Thank you. You too! :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian