Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Approximately 20-30 minutes ago, my dog got a 99% empty tube…

Approximately 20-30 minutes ago...

Approximately 20-30 minutes ago, my dog got a 99% empty tube of Sensodyne extra whitening toothpaste out of the garbage and chewed the end of the tube corner off slightly. The cap was off but it doesn’t seem she squeezed out what she could’ve, as the tube mouth wasn’t full of toothpaste remnant. No xylitol after looking up the ingredients, but there’s potassium nitrate 5% and sodium fluoride 0.24 %. I put my nose in her mouth and I smell no minty scent. She has no symptoms and her breathing and drinking is normal. How worried should I be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She’s on piroxicam, and she’s 11 years old.

3/22/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Still there?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m here!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think we can handle it texting here.Been about 50 minutes now and she seems okay; her breathing seems slightly faster but barely; might be my fear/hypervigilance.She’s licking her lips slightly, like when her stomach is unsettled. She didn’t eat the pieces of the tube she chewed, I found and picked them up, little flecks that had no toothpaste on them.It seems she picked it up, chewed a bit and didn’t like it so stopped.She’s on piroxicam for suspected bladder cancer and her symptoms reversed on the med the last six months, and she’s about 75 lbs.It doesn’t seem like xylitol is in sensodyne. I was researching while waiting to hear back from you.Thank you! I’m still here ...

Hi there!

Okay there is nothing to worry about

The toothpaste is not toxic

She may be irritated a bit in her mouth but thats it

Suggest you feed her and offer water

No further treatment needed

I hope that helps!

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even with the fluoride in it?If so, such a relief! : )!

Correct

No risk of toxicity :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THANK YOU*!So glad.I hope you have a lovely night and thanks for doing what you do for animals. <3

Very welcome

You have a good night also

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open in case you have more questions

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian