Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a house bunny that keeps building up a poo-ball under…

I have a house...

I have a house bunny that keeps building up a poo-ball under her tail. She still has normal little ball poops too but there's a stinky hard buildup under her tail. I've given her a few baths over the last few weeks but it keeps coming back. She has softwood bedding, and gets hay, pellets, and vegetables everyday. Any suggestions on what I need to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bunny's name and age?

French Fry, and she's 4.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about French?

She's a larger rabbit a Rex mix I believe. Short fur and she's pretty lazy.

3/20/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about French Fry. I'm sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

I want to start by letting you know this is a very common problem.

What percentage of her diet would you say is hay?

She gets about 3 handfuls a day, about a half cup of pellets, a handful of spinach, 5 carrots and a few leaves of romaine lettuce.

Thanks for your quick reply. It sounds like you're really doing your best to offer French Fry a healthy and varied diet. Unfortunately, there's some adjustments you'll need to make to prevent wet feces from building up on her hind end. This is a pretty common problem, and it usually is the result of feeding too much "wet" food and pellets. I'll explain more below.

A mature adult bunny who is a housepet needs to eat primarily hay. The other things, including pellets, need to fed sparingly.

Ok. Should I cut back on the other foods slowly or just stop and give her only hay?

She's more likely to stay healthy longer and have better poops if she has free choice access to hay all day long, and gets no more than:

• 1/8 cup pellets (even less would be fine)
  • 3-4 spinach leaves per day
  • 1 baby carrot per day
  • maybe half a leaf of romaine

If she's got a poop-ball right now, I'd stop the veggies and greens cold turkey. Clean her up so you make sure a new poop-ball isn't forming. Cut the pellets to only 1/8 cup right away, and start free-choice hay.

Once you're sure her poop-ball isn't reforming, you can slowly add the smaller amounts of veggies and greens back in.

That sounds good. I'll start there. Would her softwood bedding contribute anything to the problem or should I stick with that?

That bedding should be fine. :-)

Is there anything else I can help you with for now? It sounds like you have a good plan.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Best of luck to you and French Fry. It sounds like she's in good hands.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Nope I feel confident we can do this! Thank you so much for your help!

I'm glad I could help. Thank you for everything.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo