Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 13 lb Yorkie ate part of a swimming ball made of foam.

My 13 lb Yorkie...

My 13 lb Yorkie ate part of a swimming ball made of foam. Will she be ok?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Yorkie will be able to digest that. What is the Yorkie's name and age?

Millie and she is a year and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Millie?

She eats anything that doesn’t eat her first!

3/19/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

I'm sorry to hear that Millie ate part of a swimming ball made of foam.
While this isn't a truly toxic thing and it may pass, especially if she chewed it up into small pieces, if she ate it within the last 2 hours it's worth trying to get her to vomit it back up.

You can give her 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide soaked up with bread chunks or mixed with some ice cream. Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling and irritate her stomach lining so she vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the foam chunks are present.

If she vomits the foam to try and settle her stomach you can give her either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid, decrease irritation, and should help settle her stomach.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off, and 2/3 white rice. Add 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber if she doesn’t vomit the styrofoam or if she only vomits partial pieces to help push the remaining pieces through.

If you don't have peroxide you can get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.

If she doesn't vomit it back up or it has been longer then 2 to 3 hours since she ate the foam and it is too late to induce vomiting, or if you choose not to take her to an emergency clinic still use the bland diet pumpkin to try and get the pieces to pass.

If she doesn't vomit the foam signs of trouble to watch for are if she starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and she should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.

Sorry about the offer of a phone call. That is an automatic, site generated offer that many licensed veterinarians are unable to fulfill. Many states/province licensing boards do not allow veterinarians to communicate via phone calls, unless they have previously physically examined a pet. The states and Province I am licensed in have that restriction. I could lose my license for doing so.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my written response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you. Will my $28 be refunded for the phone call??

I will contact customer service and ask that be done if you want me to, just let me know if we are set here and then I can forward that request to customer service.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t need a phone call. Will I get that money refunded?? I’m sorry if you have answered this, but my service is kind of slow.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That would be great. I am fine with everything now. Thank you!

Great, I will do so now!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Phone call session started
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian