Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 12 year + pit who is over weight and starting to…

Hi Pearl..I have a...

Hi Pearl..I have a 12 year + pit bull who is over weight and starting to have what I think is Arthritis.Ive been giving home chewable joint care tablets with Gluosamine and Chondroitin.He seems to be struggling to get up and down.What else can I do for him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the pit. What is the pit's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dylan?

No otherwise he’s in good shape

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Dylan. You're correct to consider osteoarthritis in a 12 year old who is having trouble rising and lying down. His hips and spine are the areas in which I would expect to find the arthritis. I'm going to post my entire synopsis of osteoarthritis for you because I don't know what you've tried already. Please peruse it and then return to our conversation with additional concerns and questions...

We use a multimodal approach to osteoarthritis in our dogs - dietary management, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory pain relief, neutraceuticals, life-style changes and stem cell therapy. When used concomitantly these approaches should synergize and provide the best control of symptoms. For example, Dylan might show considerable improvement if you add fish oil to his diet. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are anti-inflammatory. I use the cost-effective generic human fish oils and dose them at 20 mg/lb daily of the EPA in the fish oil. You'll find the amount of EPA on the label of the fish oil product. There are also products containing only EPA.

Avoid flax oil because it is poorly bioavailable to dogs. They can't metabolize it properly.

If you prefer, there are diets that are extremely high in omega-3 fatty acids. Hill's Prescription Diet j/d is one such diet.

Many vets feel that injections of Adequan (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) work better than oral neutraceuticals such as glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate you've been giving Dylan or the over the counter Cosequin (or prescription Dasequin). Please see here: http://www.amazon.com/Nutramax-Cosequin-PLUS-Chewable-Tablets/dp/B003ULL1NQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1432474254&sr=1-1&keywords=cosequin). Adequan is injected into Dylan weekly for a number of weeks at his vet's discretion. You can read more about Adequan here: http://www.adequancanine.us/

Regenerative stem cell therapy has come into its own and is now available for addressing osteoarthritis in dogs . Please see Vet-Stem's website here for more information:***@******.*** The regenerative stem cells are created from Dylan's fat cells and are capable of differentiating into a variety of tissue types including tendon, ligament, bone, cartilage, and muscle and have been proven to reduce pain and inflammation. I understand, however, that such an invasive procedure may not be appropriate at his age age.

We have to suspect that just as in people, geriatric osteoarthritis in dogs is painful. If a prescription nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen, meloxicam or the new grapiprant isn't sufficient for controlling pain, please consider adding a well-tolerated narcotic such as tramadol to these therapies mentioned above. All of these drugs are available from Dylan's vet. Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb of body weight with food every 12 hours can be helpful in a pinch as can be acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily. The two analgesics can be given concurrently and provide better analgesia than either drug alone.

Weight reduction is essential. The less weight Dylan's joints need to carry, the better.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I have a prescription for Meloxicam 15mg for myself .Can I give him a dose?

That's a good choice but it can be difficult to dose down to a dog of Dylan's size. How much does he weigh, please? On the first day we dose meloxicam at 0.1 mg per pound of body weight and on subsequent days we dose it at 0.05 mg per pound of body weight.

He’s about 150+ pounds

Hunk o' dog! Your 15 mg tablet is perfect for today and then 1/2 of that tablet (7.5 mg) daily on subsequent days. It can be given as needed or chronically. Watch for adverse signs which usually are of gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - if any adverse signs arise at all. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you so much..I also have Naproxen if that will help also.He took the tablet a few minutes ago.Thank you so much for you help.I was hoping to have something here of mine he could take to help him

No, no. Both naproxen and ibuprofen are toxic to dogs. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian